Michael H. Krul has been practicing law since 1973 and has experience in all areas of the finance department including mergers and acquisitions, securities and municipal finance transactions.
During the first eight years of his practice, Mr. Krul focused on litigation, defending corporations in complex securities, antitrust or other business related lawsuits. This experience enabled him to develop substantial familiarity with state and federal securities, antitrust and other business regulatory laws. It also provided him with experience on how to minimize the risk of subsequent litigation in a business transaction and maximize the client’s position should litigation ensue.
Mr. Krul has represented both buyers and sellers in a multitude of merger and acquisition transactions, including numerous deals in the $50-150 million range. Whether representing buyers or sellers, Mr. Krul’s primary goal is to use his knowledge and experience to resolve the inevitable issues that arise in any transaction so that the parties can close the deal on mutually acceptable terms.
Mr. Krul also has substantial experience in dealing with securities laws. He has represented issuers and underwriters in securities financings, including private placements and public offerings. In addition, he has advised clients on a host of other securities laws issues, such as stock option plans, insider trading issues, public company disclosure requirements, ’34 Act reporting, Rule 144 resale requirements and broker-dealer regulatory issues. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Krul was employed by the New York Stock Exchange and, as an attorney, served for many years as an arbitrator for the National Association of Securities Dealers.
As a public finance attorney, Mr. Krul has represented numerous counties, cities, special districts and other governmental issuers, as well as underwriters, in connection with municipal financings and public-private partnerships. He acted as the primary counsel in a special assessment financing pursuant to which a municipality, the school board and numerous developers with undeveloped property in that municipality, issued revenue bonds backed by assessments on the developers’ properties to secure the financing of two new public schools to be owed and operated by the school board, which was the first financing of this nature in the State. In addition, Mr. Krul represented the owners of professional sports teams in Florida in connection with stadium financing matters. He also represented a Florida county in connection with negotiating the arrangements to bring a major research facility to the county and finance their required facilities.
During the last several years, Mr. Krul has represented operators in the multifamily housing sector in connection with financing the equity for their projects through joint ventures with private equity funds and other institutional sources. In connection with this practice, he has engineered roll-up transaction involving the contribution of billions of dollars worth of assets into public real estate investment trusts.
- J.D., Brooklyn Law School, cum laude, 1973
- B.A., State University of New York, Buffalo, 1969
Professional and Community Involvement
- The Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, Member
- The Florida Bar Association, Member
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Section, Member
- The Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Member
- The Greater Fort Lauderdale Tax Council, Member
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV® Preeminent ™
- U.S. News & World Report, Corporate, “Best Lawyers in America,” 2011 & 2013-2017
- Lifestyle Media Group’s Leaders In Law Award, Finalist, Securities and International Law, 2014
- South Florida’s “Top Rated Lawyers”, 2012
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Florida Super Lawyers“, 2007
- Eight Attorneys From Greenspoon Marder Listed In The Best Lawyers Business Edition 2017
- Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Selected as 2016 Legal Leaders
- Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Receive 2017 AV Preeminent Rating By Martindale-Hubbell
- 32 Attorneys from Greenspoon Marder Listed in the Best Lawyers in America 2017
- 25 Greenspoon Marder Law Attorneys Listed Among 2016 Best Lawyers in America
- Twenty-Three Greenspoon Marder Law Attorneys Listed Among Best Lawyers in America in 2015
- Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Selected as Finalists for Lifestyle Media Group’s Leaders In Law Award
- Greenspoon Marder Named Among the 2013 “Best Law Firms”
- Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Named Among The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
- South Florida’s Top Rated Lawyers, 2012
- Bankruptcy Court Approves Sale of Ruden McClosky Assets to Greenspoon Marder
- Ruden McClosky Signs Asset Purchase Agreement with Greenspoon Marder