Rachel K. Gillette, Esq.
Phone: (303) 665-0860
Direct Fax: (303) 416-4298
999 18th Street, 30th Floor, Denver, CO 80202
Rachel Gillette focuses her practice on marijuana/cannabis business licensing and regulatory compliance, business law and transactions, contract drafting and review, civil litigation, corporate formation, and tax matters, including audit representation. She has vast experience in representation of cannabis and hemp businesses, having represented state and locally licensed marijuana and hemp businesses in Colorado since 2010.
Ms. Gillette also regularly represents clients before the IRS’s Examinations, Appeals, and Collections Divisions, including marijuana businesses facing the challenges of IRS adjustments under 280E. She has successfully protested local, state and federal tax deficiencies in behalf of her clients, having prevented hundreds of thousands of dollars in incorrectly assessed taxes, interest, and penalties. She can assist individual and business taxpayers in 280E proposed assessments, offers in compromise, audit examinations, innocent spouse claims, sales, use, and employment tax matters, trust fund tax penalty assessments, penalty abatement’s, and levy releases.
Ms. Gillette received her Juris Doctorate from Quinnipiac University School of Law in Hamden, Connecticut, where she served as Associate Editor of the Quinnipiac University Probate Law Journal. During law school, she interned with the New Haven Public Defender’s office, where she developed her commitment to advocacy for those facing the many challenges of the criminal justice system.
Through her current work with cannabis and hemp businesses in a highly regulated industry, Ms. Gillette remains committed to ending the prohibition of cannabis at the national level and ensuring state licensed and legal marijuana businesses are fairly taxed and regulated.
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Tax Court
- J.D., Quinnipiac University, 2007
- B.A., Political Science, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2004
- Certificate in Peace & Conflict Studies
- Colorado NORML, Board Member and Former Executive Director
- NORML, Legal Committee, Member
- Women Grow, Founding Member
- National Cannabis Bar Association, Board of Directors
- National Cannabis Industry Association, Member
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Boulder County Bar Association, Member
- 5280 magazine, “Top Lawyer”, Marijuana Law, 2016
- Cannabis Business Executive, Listed in 100 Most Influential People in the Cannabis Industry, 2014
- Cannabis Business Awards, “MVP”, 2014-2015
- Quoted, “How to Grow a Cannabis Farming Business in the Blazing Marijuana Economy,” Fox News, September 29, 2016
- Quoted, “The DEA is looking for candidates to grow marijuana for research — but will it find any takers?” STAT News, August 31, 2016
- Quoted, “DEA files docs, says no to rescheduling marijuana,” The Denver Post”s The Cannabist, August 11, 2016
- Quoted, “Will pot-friendly restaurants become a thing?” Zagat, July 25, 2016
- “Cannabis law practice picks Colorado for new office, Lafayette attorney Rachel K. Gillette to head local office” The Denver Post, June 6, 2016
- Quoted, “Women in weed: how legal marijuana could be the first billion-dollar industry not dominated by men,” Newsweek, August 20, 2015
- Quoted, “Vacation pot smokers should be aware back home,” Chicago Tribune, February 24, 2015
- Quoted, “Colorado marijuana shop sues IRS for charging a cash penalty,” Fox Business, July 2, 2014
- Quoted, “IRS fines unbanked pot shops for paying federal payroll tax in cash,” The Denver Post, July 2, 2014
- Quoted, “Legal pot becomes a touchy workplace issue,” USA Today, April, 2014
- Quoted, “Colorado Marijuana Arrests Continue Despite Legalization,” US News and World Report, January 13, 2014
- Quoted, “High Demand: Price of legal marijuana soars in Colorado,” NBC News, January 2, 2014
- Quoted, “Cannabis goes on legal Sale in US state of Colorado,” BBC News, January 1, 2014
- Quoted, “Justice Department: Good News for Recreational Stoners,” The Daily Beast, August 30, 2013