Daniel C. Mazanec is a litigation partner in Greenspoon Marder’s Entertainment, Media & Technology Industry Group.
Mr. Mazanec develops creative, practical and efficient strategies that achieve his clients’ unique business and litigation objectives – whether in the courtroom or the conference room. Mr. Mazanec advises and represents businesses, entrepreneurs, investors and entertainers in commercial disputes and intellectual property litigation matters, including copyright and trademark infringement actions. He also serves as outside general counsel and strategic advisor to multiple growth-stage companies and start-ups, and as a negotiator for clients in various industries confronting high-stakes problems, conflicts and opportunities.
Mr. Mazanec currently serves as Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Miami Music Project, Inc., an El Sistema-inspired program that provides free after school musical education to children in Miami’s most underserved communities. Mr. Mazanec provides pro bono legal services to Miami Music Project, Inc. as its outside general counsel.
- New York
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2004
- B.A., Philosophy and Psychology, University of Notre Dame, 2001
- Representation of world famous singer in litigation against former agent to recover unpaid performance revenue
- Outside general counsel to world’s first fully tokenized venture capital fund and its management company
- Successfully negotiated early termination of over $30M of commercial leases on behalf of global publicly-traded company
- Secured voluntary dismissal with prejudice for defendant personal-care products company by developing evidence through discovery and depositions that plaintiff intentionally destroyed highly relevant electronically stored information (ESI).
- Represented Internet of Things (IoT) company and its founder in lawsuit by software developer who claimed ownership of key intellectual property and significant equity options that he was not able to exercise in acquisition by public company. Secured dismissal of multiple claims that positioned the case for favorable settlement
- Special Counsel to the Chapter 7 Trustee in the bankruptcy case of a famous music producer.
- Represented a Latin American media company in multiple copyright infringement actions involving digital images.
- Defeated motion for temporary restraining order brought by former directors and officers of a publicly-traded developer of personal-care products in an effort to retake control of the company following their dismissal.
- Obtained summary judgment for world-renowned comedian Dave Chappelle in a managerial contract dispute in New York federal court (Abuelhija v. Chappelle, 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 55861 (S.D.N.Y. June 29, 2009))
- Secured dismissal of a publicly-traded mortgage services provider from lawsuit alleging that hacker infiltrated network and diverted funds by transmitting fraudulent wire instructions.
- Obtained summary judgment for Japan’s second largest steel manufacturer in a complex commercial dispute over environmental liabilities exceeding $50M (JFE Steel v. ICI Americas, Inc., 797 F. Supp. 2d 452 (D. Del. 2011))
- Served as Special Litigation Counsel to Chapter 7 Trustee of Soup Kitchen International , securing a favorable settlement for the estate in an adversary proceeding to recover fraudulently transferred assets (Geltzer v. The Original Soupman Inc. (In re Soup Kitchen Int’l Inc.), 506 B.R. 29 (Bankr. E.D.N.Y. 2014))
- Obtained reversal by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals of a district court’s order certifying a 29-jurisdiction class action against a Fortune 50 retailer (Thorogood v. Sears, Roebuck and Co., 547 F. 3d 742 (7th Cir. 2008)).
Professional and Community Involvement
- Miami Music Project, Vice Chairman of Board of Trustees & General Counsel
- Dade County Bar Association, Member
- Speaker, “Top Legal Tips for Small Businesses” Webinar, April 4, 2021
- Benchmark Litigation, “Under 40 Hot List,” 2017-2021
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Rising Star,” New York – Metro Edition, 2011-2014
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Rising Star,” Ohio, 2009
In the News
- Featured, “Senior-Level Hires and Promotions,” Miami Herald, January 22, 2017
- Author, “Online Image Infringement And The Statutory-Damages Threat,” Law360, February 20, 2018
- Mar 29, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Partners Olga Vieira and Daniel Mazanec Featured Speakers for eMerge Americas Webinar on Top Legal Tips for Small Businesses
- Oct 27, 2020 Two Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Recognized in Benchmark Litigation’s “40 Under 40” Hotlist For 2021
- Aug 1, 2019 Three Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Recognized In Benchmark Litigation’s “Under 40 Hotlist” 2019
- Nov 19, 2018 Miami Music Project Partners with Greenspoon Marder and KoDA to Present “Miami Music Box” During Art Basel Week
- Jul 2, 2018 Four Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Recognized in Benchmark Litigation’s “Under 40 Hotlist” for 2018
- Aug 15, 2017 Four Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Recognized in Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hotlist 2017
- Jan 12, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Promotes Eight Attorneys to Shareholder in 2017
- Oct 4, 2016 Greenspoon Marder Attorney Dan Mazanec Elected to the Miami Music Project Board of Trustees
- Apr 22, 2015 Greenspoon Marder Law’s Brickell Office Welcomes Daniel C. Mazanec