Daniel C. Mazanec is a litigation partner in Greenspoon Marder’s Entertainment, Media & Technology Industry Group.
Drawing on his diverse experience litigating in state and federal courts across the country, Mr. Mazanec develops creative, practical and efficient strategies that achieve his clients’ unique business and litigation objectives. Mr. Mazanec concentrates his practice on advising and representing businesses, entrepreneurs, media companies, advertising agencies and entertainers in commercial disputes and intellectual property litigation matters, including copyright and trademark infringement actions. His experience includes representing clients in media, entertainment, real estate, healthcare, food & beverage and financial services industries.
An active member of the community, Mr. Mazanec currently serves on the Board of Trustees of the Miami Music Project, Inc., an El Sistema-inspired program that provides free after school musical education to children in Miami’s most under served communities. Mr. Mazanec also provides pro bono legal services to Miami Music Project, Inc. and plays an integral role in identifying and facilitating new development and media opportunities for the organization.
- New York
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2004
- B.A., Philosophy and Psychology, University of Notre Dame, 2001
- Currently serving as Special Counsel to the Chapter 7 Trustee in the bankruptcy case of a famous music producer.
- Defended a Latin American media company against multiple copyright infringement actions.
- Successfully defeated motion for temporary restraining order brought by former directors and officers of a publicly-traded developer of personal-care products in an effort to retake control of the company following their dismissa
- Obtained summary judgment for world-renowned comedian Dave Chappelle in a managerial contract dispute in New York federal court (Abuelhija Chappelle, 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 55861 (S.D.N.Y. June 29, 2009))
- Secured dismissal of a publicly-traded mortgage services provider from lawsuit alleging that hacker infiltrated network and diverted funds by transmitting fraudulent wire instructions.
- Obtained summary judgment for Japan’s second largest steel manufacturer in a complex commercial dispute over environmental liabilities exceeding $50M (JFE Steel v. ICI Americas, Inc., 797 F. Supp. 2d 452 (D. Del. 2011))
- Served as Special Litigation Counsel to Chapter 7 Trustee of Soup Kitchen International , securing a favorable settlement for the estate in an adversary proceeding to recover fraudulently transferred assets (Geltzer v. The Original Soupman Inc. (In re Soup Kitchen Int’l Inc.), 506 B.R. 29 (Bankr. E.D.N.Y. 2014))
- Represented large Ohio healthcare system against claims based on alleged anticompetitive conduct.
- Obtained reversal by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals of a district court’s order certifying a 29-jurisdiction class action against a Fortune 50 retailer (Thorogood v. Sears, Roebuck and Co., 547 F. 3d 742 (7th Cir. 2008)).
Professional and Community Involvement
- Miami Music Project, Board of Trustees
- Dade County Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- Benchmark Litigation, “Under 40 Hot List,” 2017-2018
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Rising Star,” New York – Metro Edition, 2011-2014
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Rising Star,” Ohio, 2009
In the News
- Featured, “Senior-Level Hires and Promotions,” Miami Herald, January 22, 2017
- Author, “Online Image Infringement And The Statutory-Damages Threat,” Law360, February 20, 2018
- Four Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Recognized in Benchmark Litigation’s “Under 40 Hotlist” for 2018
- Four Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Recognized in Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hotlist 2017
- Greenspoon Marder Promotes Eight Attorneys to Shareholder in 2017
- Greenspoon Marder Attorney Dan Mazanec Elected to the Miami Music Project Board of Trustees
- Greenspoon Marder Law’s Brickell Office Welcomes Daniel C. Mazanec