Evan M. Goldman is a partner and co-chair of the Franchise Law practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. As a New York, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C. and New Jersey Franchise Law attorney, he concentrates his practice on franchises, working closely with both franchisor and franchisee clients to draft, negotiate, and register disclosure documents, franchise agreements, and related key documentation. Beyond the transactional work, Mr. Goldman regularly represents clients in dispute categories such as termination issues, breach of contract, trademark infringement disputes, fraud claims, and enforcement of non-competition agreements.
Mr. Goldman also has extensive experience advising clients in the hospitality industry, including hotels, bars, nightclubs, caterers, private clubs, commercial properties, and fitness centers. Mr. Goldman is a seasoned litigator, inside and outside the franchise and hospitality industries, representing clients in business litigation matters, including partnership disputes, in both federal and state trial and appellate courts in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and the District of Columbia, as well as before the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”). In this role, Mr. Goldman has litigated, arbitrated, or mediated in 30-plus states throughout the United States.
Prior to joining Greenspoon Marder, Mr. Goldman served as a New Jersey Franchise Law attorney in preeminent law firms in New York and New Jersey, counseling numerous clients such as restaurants, retail chains, and franchise systems. He has represented both franchisors and franchisees in multi-million dollar deals, throughout the U.S. and internationally.
- U.S. District Court, Northern Southern, and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Nebraska
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second, Third, Ninth and Eleventh Circuits
- New Jersey
- New York
- District of Columbia
- J.D., Brooklyn Law School, 2011
- B.A., University of Michigan, Sport Management, 2008
- Co-represented a 10-unit development agreement with Illinois-based Tapville Social, a technology-forward food and beverage franchisor offering self-pour beverage kiosks, that brings ten Tapville kiosks to locations throughout Texas.
- Represented dozens of national franchisors in all corporate affairs, franchise registrations and renewals, and negotiations with franchisees and third-parties.
- Obtained temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction on behalf of national franchisor to prevent former franchisee from breaching non-compete. Subsequently obtained permanent injunction after an evidentiary hearing before the American Arbitration Association.
- Successfully defended appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, which affirmed lower court decision confirming an arbitration award.
- Responsible for several complex franchise matters across the country, one of which resulted in arbitration award confirmed by the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia.
- Defeated motions to dismiss and for summary judgment led by multi-national franchisor seeking relief against a group of franchisees.
- Obtained temporary restraining order against multi-national franchisor, preventing improper termination, on behalf of multi-unit franchisee.
Professional and Community Involvement
- ABA Forum on Franchising, Member, 2013 – Present
- International Franchise Association (“IFA”), Member, 2016 – Present
- Featured Speaker, “How New Rules Regarding Franchise Agreements Will Impact the Industry”, Franchise Growth Solutions, March 14, 2023
- Speaker, “Out-of-State Subpoenas & Interstate Discovery [2022 Edition],” Federal Bar Association and myLawCLE, November 18, 2022
- Super Lawyers magazine, “New Jersey Rising Star,” Business Litigation, 2021-2022
- Franchise Times, “Legal Eagle,” 2022
- Author, “Franchise Deskbook: Selected State Laws, Commentary, and Annotations (Third Edition)” Co-author, ABA Book Publishing, June 2019
- Author, “When the Franchise Agreement Ends, But the Relationship Continues,” Co-presenter, American Bar Association (ABA) Forum on Franchising, October 2018
- Author, “Proper Foundation: Building a Sustainable Franchise System,” Presenter, International Franchise Expo (IFE), June 2018
Author, “Navigating the Buying Process: What to Know Before You Invest,” Presenter, International Franchise Expo (IFE), May 2018
- Author, “Get Smart: Ethical Boundaries vis-a-vis Case Investigations and Evidence Collection in the Digital World,” Presenter, North American Consortium on Legal Education (NACLE), March 201
- Author, “Registration Update: Knowing Your Exemptions,” Author, BeTheBoss.com, February 2018
- Author, “Are Material Changes Subject to Renewal Franchise Agreements Subject to the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing?,” Co-author, Franchise Law Journal Vol. No. 36/Issue No. 4, Spring 2017
- Author, “Leveling the Playing Field: Amending the New Jersey Franchise Practices Act to Better Protect Franchisees,” Co-author, Mercer County Lawyer, October 2016
- Author, “Point/Counterpoint: Personal Guarantees,” Co-author, The Franchise Lawyer, Summer 2016
- Author, “Franchise Law: Five Issues Facing Franchisors and Franchisees,” Presenter, North American Consortium on Legal Education (NACLE), April 2016
- Author, “Franchise Law-Representing Franchisees from Courtship to Divorce,” Presenter, North American Consortium on Legal Education (NACLE), March 2016
In the News
- Co-Featured, “Greenspoon Marder Chairs Share Vision And Friendship,” Law360, February 28, 2023
- Interviewed, “Franchise Focus, Episode 5,” Franchise Focus, January 3, 2023
- Quoted, “Creating A Better Franchisor/Franchisee Relationship,” Forbes, October 18, 2022
- Mar 7, 2023 Greenspoon Marder Partner Evan M. Goldman Represents National Real Estate Development & Management Company in Favorable Seven-Figure Judgment
- Mar 6, 2023 Greenspoon Marder Partners with The Health Benefit Alliance for Private Event at IFA
- Jan 18, 2023 Evan M. Goldman Named Co-Chair of Greenspoon Marder’s Franchise Law Group
- May 9, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Continues Expansion and Moves To New Office In Newark, N.J. at 1037 Raymond Blvd
- Apr 4, 2022 Four Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Recognized as 2022 Legal Eagles by Franchise Times
- Mar 18, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Partners Brett Buterick and Evan Goldman Recognized Among The 2022 “New Jersey Rising Stars” By Super Lawyers
- Mar 1, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Launches Franchise Law Practice Group Nationwide