Germain D. Labat is a partner with the Litigation practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. Mr. Labat is an experienced trial lawyer who advises and represents companies and their executives in all manner of business and commercial disputes in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels. His national litigation practice includes complex commercial litigation, securities litigation, commercial real estate litigation, corporate governance and control disputes, suits involving non-compete agreements and other restrictive covenants, breach of fiduciary duties, intellectual property litigation, misappropriation of trade secrets, and franchise disputes. His wide-ranging list of clients includes both public and privately held companies across various sectors, including financial services, cosmetics, health care, food and beverage, commercial real estate, energy, retail and technology.
Mr. Labat is a seasoned advocate in the courtroom, having tried numerous jury and bench trials of complex and lengthy matters, including one of the longest bench trials in California history that spanned nearly 300 trial days. While Mr. Labat typically serves as defense counsel, he also has experience representing plaintiffs, having successfully obtained multi million-dollar verdicts for his clients.
Mr. Labat is also experienced in conducting internal investigations, acting as counsel to special litigation committees in response to both external and internal allegations of impropriety, and counseling clients and their boards of directors on pre-litigation strategy and planning.
Mr. Labat was recognized by the Legal 500 United States guide in 2015 in the Securities–Litigation category. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Labat was a partner with a leading international Am Law 100 firm. Before that he spent his early years of practice representing Silicon Valley start-ups and publicly traded tech companies in the Securities Litigation Group at another Am Law 100 firm.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, 2000
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2002
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, 2005
- J.D., Boston College Law School, cum laude, 1999
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, Honors, 1995
Professional and Community Involvement
- Germain sits on the Board of Governors of L.A. Works, a 501(c)3 nonprofit, volunteer action center that creates and implements hands-on community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area. L.A Works strives to empower Angelenos to address pressing social issues through volunteerism and community collaborations.
- Los Angeles Business Journal, “500 Most Influential People In Los Angeles,” 2019-2020
- Legal 500 United States, “Securities–Litigation,” 2015
In the News
- Featured, “Greenspoon Marder Snags Vedder Price’s LA Litigation Head,” The Recorder, April 3, 2019
- May 25, 2020 Greenspoon Marder Partner Germain Labat Recognized Among Los Angeles Business Journal’s “500 Most Influential People In Los Angeles”
- May 17, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partner Germain Labat Honored At Los Angeles Business Journal’s “500 Most Influential People In Los Angeles”
- Apr 2, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Expands Los Angeles Office With Addition of New Partner Germain Labat