Ilena Alvarez is an associate in the Wills, Trusts & Estates practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. Ms. Alvarez focuses her practice on estate planning, probate, guardianship (adult), business planning, asset protection, and domestic and international tax controversies. She regularly counsels and advises high-net worth clients through the process of administering trusts and estates. Ms. Alvarez’s practice also includes assisting with family law and litigation matters representing clients in business, tenant and landlord, and guardianship matters.
Prior to joining Greenspoon Marder, Ms. Alvarez founded and led her own firm, concentrating on probate, business planning, estate planning, taxation, asset protection, contract drafting and review, and litigation matters. She also worked as a tax and civil litigation attorney for boutique business law firms in South Florida, focusing on corporate litigation, handling complex domestic and international tax-related matters, Internal Revenue Service audits, and handling cases through alternative dispute resolution.
Outside the firm, Ms. Alvarez enjoys taking an active role in shaping her community. She is a contributing attorney at the Legal Clinic for Creatives, Miami-Dade Legal Aid Society, the Broward County Veteran’s Pro Bono Project, and the Miami-Dade Legal Aid Venture Project. Ms. Alvarez also currently serves as an adjunct professor at Broward College, teaching Family Law, Introduction to Paralegal Studies, as well as Business Law and Ethics for the Supply Chain Management program.
Ms. Alvarez earned her Master of Laws in Taxation and her Juris Doctor from the Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School. During law school, she interned at the Michigan Department of Treasury and paved the way for additional internships for LL.M tax students from WMU-Cooley. Mr. Alvarez was also actively involved in several organizations as Treasurer of the Tax Law Society, member of the American Bar Association Student Division, member of the Michigan Women’s Tax Association, a moot court competitor, and a volunteer docent at the Michigan Supreme Court. Furthermore, she earned a Certificate of Merit in Pretrial Skills. In addition, Ms. Alvarez also received her Bachelor of Arts from Florida International University in Theatre.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- United States Tax Court
- LL.M., Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 2010
- J.D., Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 2009
- B.A., Florida International University Theatre, 2004
Professional and Community Involvement
- The Florida Bar
- Tax Section, Real Property/Probate/Trust Division, Member
- International Law Division, Member
- American Bar Association, Tax Law Section, Member
- Friends of the Boca Raton Public Library, Inc., Board Member
- Contributing Attorney at Broward County Legal Aid
- Contributing Attorney at Legal Clinic for Creatives, Miami-Dade Legal Aid Society.
- Contributing Attorney for the VA Pro Bono for the Broward County Veteran’s Pro Bono Project and the Miami-Dade Legal Aid Venture Project.
- Speaker, “Tax Talk for Entrepreneurs,” The Lab Miami, Miami-Dade Legal Aid Venture Law Project
- Speaker, “Operating Agreements 101,” MEC261, Miami-Dade Legal Aid Venture Law Project
- Speaker, “Power of Attorney: Do You Know What Powers You Are Giving Up?,” S.W. Focal Community Center