James H. Turken is the lead partner in the Litigation practice group of Greenspoon Marder’s Los Angeles office. Mr. Turken is an experienced trial attorney, having tried more than 60 jury trials, along with numerous bench trials and arbitrations nationally. He concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial litigation, intellectual property, trade secrets and market practices, trademarks, copyrights, securities litigation and enforcement defense, construction, and labor and employment litigation.
- J.D., Southwestern Law School, cum laude, 1979
- Southwestern Law Review
- B.A., Loyola University, 1975
- Secured a $1.6 million jury award and $2 million in attorneys’ fees for members of the Young Leadership Group of Friends of the Israel Defense Forces in a discrimination case against the Shangri La Hotel and its owner, Tehmina Adaya, primarily for violations of the Unruh Civil Rights Act.
- Defended a public company in a binding arbitration brought by another public company in a suit seeking damages of approximately $1 billion for alleged breaches of a merger and related agreements.
- Successfully defended a series of lawsuits in a securities class action filed in federal court in Kentucky, as well as actions filed in California state court, seeking damages in excess of $250 million.
- Defended Techmedia, a Korean computer manufacturer, in a lawsuit brought by TAE IL Media, Ltd., its U.S. distributor, seeking $500 million in damages and obtained a $121 million jury verdict on the cross complaint. The case was noted by The National Law Journal as one of the largest jury verdicts of the year.
- Defended through a jury trial patent and copyright infringement actions brought against IDB Communications, a publicly traded satellite communications company, in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV® Preeminent ™
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Southern California Super Lawyer,” 2004 – 2018
- U.S. News and World Report, “Best Lawyers in America,” Commercial Litigation, 2016-2019
- Los Angeles magazine, “Top Attorneys in Southern California,” 2017
In the News
- Quoted, “Beverly Hills Boutique Gets New Name Amid Partner Departures,” The Recorder, May 10, 2018
- Author, “The California Supreme Court Has Ruled That Retailers Are Prohibited From Recording Consumers’ ZIP Code Information in Credit Card Transactions,” Zipped Up, February 18, 2011
- Greenspoon Marder Recognized By The Beijing Friendship Association With The Professional Contribution Award as a “Firm of the Year”
- 35 Attorneys From Greenspoon Marder Listed In The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- Greenspoon Marder Continues Expansion on the West Coast with the Opening of Los Angeles Office