Joseph Wasch is Of Counsel in the Franchise Law practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. With more than 40 years of experience, Mr. Wasch concentrates his practice on franchise industry matters, involving business structuring, entity organization and corporate governance, equity and debt financing transactions, mergers and acquisitions, sales of businesses, drafting and reviewing software and intellectual property licensing/sale, employment law and human resources issues, trademark matters, purchase contracts, and complex commercial transactions. He also regularly represents and and provides counsel to franchisors, franchisees, large businesses, tech companies, and startups.
Mr. Wasch has established numerous business relationships in the franchise industry. He has extensive experience representing both franchisors and franchisees in drafting Franchise Disclosure Documents and all franchise-related documents for startup, emerging, and national/international brands. Mr. Wasch has also developed relationships with franchisors that refer their franchisees to the group’s commercial leasing practice area. In addition, Mr. Wasch has represented restaurants, pharmacies, apparel, and automotive retail chains and franchise systems all over the country.
As a former executive officer and in-house general counsel to several franchise companies, clients turn to Mr. Wasch for his knowledge and insight involving a multitude of industries, including investment banking, healthcare, temporary staffing, real estate, and software development. He advised and counseled senior management and boards of directors on legal risk assessments, strategic initiatives, and policies and procedures in those assignments. Mr. Wasch also served as general counsel to the ownership group of Tropical Smoothie Café and advised the owners through the sale of the majority ownership in the business to private equity.
Before joining Tropical Smoothie Café, Mr. Wasch was general counsel and corporate secretary to Outsource International, Inc., a provider of temporary staffing services with both franchised and corporately-owned offices. At Outsource International, he oversaw all compliance and legal matters for the company’s franchise division, and, in addition was involved in the negotiation and preparation of various contracts and commercial agreements, protecting the company’s intellectual property, negotiating finance and acquisition documents, attending to compliance and regulatory issues, and corporate governance matters. Mr. Wasch had similar responsibilities as Vice President and General Counsel to HCX Salons International, LLC, a national franchisor of hair salons specializing in hair color, styling, and cuts.
- J.D., Brooklyn Law School
- B.A., Hofstra University
Professional and Community Involvement
- ABA Forum on Franchising, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Florida Trend magazine, “Legal Elite,” Commercial Litigation, 2021
- Franchise Times, “Legal Eagle,” 2021-2023
- Nov 7, 2023 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Frank Whitaker and Joseph Wasch Successfully Represent Client in Commercial Property Deal Valued at $3.8 Million
- Aug 25, 2023 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Joseph C. Wasch and Frank Whitaker Successfully Represent Client in Commercial Property Deal Valued at $26.5 Million
- Jul 26, 2023 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Joseph C. Wasch and Frank Whitaker Successfully Represent Franchise Client in Connection with Acquisition of Multiple Tropical Smoothie Cafés in Excess of $5 Million
- Apr 5, 2023 Six Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Recognized as 2023 Legal Eagles by Franchise Times
- Jun 24, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Successfully Represents Woof Gang Bakery & Grooming in Sale to Garnett Station Partners
- Apr 4, 2022 Four Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Recognized as 2022 Legal Eagles by Franchise Times
- Mar 1, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Launches Franchise Law Practice Group Nationwide