Julia Stepanova is an associate in the Litigation Practice Group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. Ms. Stepanova has extensive experience representing clients in a variety of complex commercial matters in state and federal court, including financial services litigation, contract and fraud disputes, intellectual property cases, art law, and internal and government investigations.
Prior to joining Greenspoon Marder, Ms. Stepanova was a litigation associate and a member of the White Collar Defense and Investigations Team at a leading national law firm in New York.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New York
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, cum laude, 2011
- Georgetown Immigration Law Journal, Managing Editor
- B.A., English, Florida International University, Honors, 2008
- Conversational Spanish
*Admitted to Practice in New York only.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Represented financial guarantors in connection with breach of contract and fraud actions initiated against originators, sponsors, and underwriters of multiple residential mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented major medical device company in litigation under the False Claims Act.
- Represented the organizer of the World Chess Championship seeking a preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order under the “hot news” doctrine for a live broadcast event.
- Represented internet and cable service provider in Lanham Act litigation against its primary competitor, including successful defense against preliminary injunction seeking to enjoin multiple major advertising campaigns.
- Represented a prominent art dealer in international dispute over one of the world’s rarest diamonds.
- Represented foreign government in a high-profile cross-border breach of contract dispute involving a world-renowned Picasso sculpture, culminating in settlement.
White Collar Defense and Internal Investigations
- Investigation on behalf of an international not-for-profit organization in connection with whistleblower allegations of money laundering and embezzlement.
- Represented Fortune 100 companies in connection with Department of Justice and New York Attorney General investigations of political corruption and Medicare and Medicaid fraud.
- Represented multiple art galleries in connection with New York Attorney General and New York District Attorney’s Office investigations into money laundering and tax law violations, resulting in successful terminations of the investigations without charges being filed.
- Represented a former top executive of a multinational retail corporation accused of violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act through operations in Mexico.
- Represented Russian Olympic doping whistleblower in a libel lawsuit and anti-SLAPP countersuit.
- Successfully obtained a rare “prosecutorial discretion” decision terminating deportation proceedings.
- Represented a death row inmate in Alabama in post-conviction review proceedings.
Professional and Community Involvement
- New York City Bar Association, Member
- Co-Author, “2015 Proposed Amendments to Fraud Sentencing Guidelines; a Good Start,” New York Law Journal, January 29, 2015