Kendall Minter is of counsel with the Entertainment & Sports practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. He is an internationally renowned entertainment attorney with over 40 years of experience. Mr. Minter advises artists, actors, songwriters, record labels, publishing companies, managers, investors, industry executives, radio announcers, concert promoters, evangelists, producers (music, film and television), filmmakers, and other creative executive and entrepreneurial talent on various entertainment matters, media and intellectual property, helping his clients build and monetize their brand and protect their intellectual property solidly and securely. Motivated by his belief that music is a universal language connecting all peoples, Mr. Minter brings his passion for law, education, and global business to empower his clients. He has extensive experience representing all segments of the entertainment industry, including creating and negotiating recording agreements, music publishing agreements, record label distribution contracts, 360 deals, touring agreements, and operating agreements, endorsement agreements, content licensing agreements, trademark applications and corporate formations.
A seasoned practitioner both in and out of the boardroom, Mr. Minter negotiates music industry contracts, film industry contracts, media industry contracts, and sports industry contracts.
Mr. Minter regularly represents investors for entertainment project funding, joint venture agreements, acquisition contracts and rights option agreements. He also works with producers, filmmakers, and other creative talent in the film and television industry on entertainment matters, including negotiating talent agreements, film finance contracts, producer agreements, television talent agreements, film production contracts, and serves as production counsel.
As a high-profile entertainment attorney, Mr. Minter helps his clients protect their intellectual property with trademark license agreements, trademark registrations, copyright registrations, content license agreements, and merchandising agreements. He has represented a variety of award-winning clients, including Jermaine Dupri, Bryan Michael Cox, Sasha The Diva, Frankie Crocker, T4he Government of Jamaica, Goodie Mob, The Backstreet Boys, Evander Holyfield, Lena Horne, Peter Tosh, Ashanti, Third World, Roy Ayers, Teddy Riley, Jagged Edge, Najee, Cassandra Wilson, Musiq Soulchild, D’Mile, Omi, the Central Park 5 and the Ying Yang Twins. Additionally, he has represented several Christian and gospel music artists such as Kirk Franklin, Fred Hammond, and Tasha Cobbs Leonard; as well as internationally renowned evangelists such as Archbishop Desmond Tutu and the Music Ministries of churches pastored by Dr. Creflo Dollar, Pastor E. Dewey Smith, and Bishop Eddie Lee Long.
For several years, Mr. Minter has taken an active role in shaping the entertainment law community. He is a co-founder and inaugural Executive Director of the Black Entertainment and Sports Lawyers Association and currently serves on its Advisory Board. Mr. Minter also served on the Board of Directors of Rhythm & Blues Foundation and is the Chairman Emeritus of the organization. He is also a member of the Board of the Living Legends Foundation and serves as its general counsel, and is a member of the Board of Directors of Sound Exchange, Inc. Mr. Minter also serves on the Boards of Georgia Music Partners and the DeKalb Entertainment Commission. Mr. Minter has also served extended terms as a director of the American Youth Hostels and the 100 Black Men. Mr. Minter was an adjunct professor at Benjamin Cardozo School of Law and is an adjunct professor at Georgia State University and Georgia State University College of Law, where he teaches Copyright and Music Publishing. Mr. Minter has been a frequent lecturer for the Practicing Law Institute and numerous other organizations, as well as being a frequent contributor and columnist for several music trade publications, and is author of a music industry guidebook, Understanding and Negotiation 360 Ancillary Rights Deals.
As a recognized leader, Mr. Minter is listed in Marquis Who’s Who in America, Marquis Who’s Who in American Law, Marquis Who’s Who in Entertainment, Marquis Who’s Who in The East, and Marquis Who’s Who amongst Black Americans. He has also been inducted into the Knights of Malta, O.S.J. In addition, Mr. Minter was recognized by the National Bar Association with its Living Legend Entertainment Attorney Award and has received other honors, including the City of Los Angeles with a Certificate of Recognition, the Chairman’s Award from the Living Legends Foundation, and the Black Entertainment & Sports Lawyers Association’s Hall of Fame.
- New York
- District of Columbia
- J.D., Cornell Law School, 1976
- B.A., Cornell University, Political Science, 1974
Professional and Community Involvement
- Georgia Production Partnership, Member
- DeKalb Entertainment Commission, Board Member
- Georgia Music Partners, Board of Directors
- State Bar of Georgia, Entertainment and Sports Law Division, Board of Directors
- Black Entertainment and Sports Lawyers Association, Co-Founder and Inaugural Executive Director
- Rhythm & Blues Foundation, Board of Directors, Chairman Emeritus
- Living Legends Foundation, Board Member and General Counsel
- Sound Exchange, Inc., Board of Directors
- Moderator, “Navigating the Path to Success for the Independent Artist,” DeKalb Entertainment Commission, July 22, 2022
- Speaker, “Branding and Monetizing Intellectual Property Rights in Music, Sports, Film And TV,” MOBE Monday’s, July 26, 2021
- Speaker, “How to Navigate Through The New Music Industry,” The Stellar Awards Academy, March 27, 2020
- Speaker, “The Key to the Money: Engagement Agreements, Fee Structures & Best Practices,” BESLA, November 7, 2019
- Speaker, “Intellectual Property Issues and Protection in Games, Sports and Entertainment,” Corporate IP Institute, October 30, 2019
- Speaker, “Corporate IP Institute, Georgia Intellectual Property Alliance,” October 29, 2019
- Speaker, “The National HBCU Pre-Law Summit,” Georgia State university College of Law, September 20, 2019
- National Bar Association, Living Legend Entertainment Attorney Award
- Black Entertainment & Sports Lawyers Association’s Hall of Fame
- City of Los Angeles, Certificate of Recognition
- Living Legends Foundation, Chairman’s Award