Leah Sykes is a partner in the Litigation practice group at Greenspoon Marder. Ms. Sykes serves housing providers in all legal aspects of property management with a special focus on education and fair housing discrimination defense.
Ms. Sykes takes a hands-on approach, advising clients in both the non-profit and for-profit housing markets, with a great depth of knowledge of the interplay between federal, state and local agencies and regulations. She has expanded her strong litigation background to include preventative methodologies for clients including management, business structure, corporate training and advising the industry in legislative matters.
Ms. Sykes travels regularly to educate clients, trade organizations and the housing provider industry. She also helped to create a webinar series for clients to support ongoing compliance and obtain Continuing Education credits through the Oregon Real Estate Board.
In 2015, Ms. Sykes established an annual educational “Fair Housing Fair” in conjunction with Multifamily Northwest and regularly collaborates with other housing organizations and advocates regarding organizational best practices.
Proudly Canadian, Ms. Sykes has great empathy for the plight of immigrant women and has volunteered as an advocate for immigrant women. She also was appointed in May 2018 by the Portland City Council to sit on the City of Portland’s Rental Services Commission to advise regarding rental housing laws and regulations. Ms. Sykes very much enjoys her various partnerships with affordable housing providers and organizations.
Ms. Sykes was admitted to the Oregon State Bar in 2002, the Washington State Bar in 2016 and graduated from Lewis and Clark College of Law in Portland, Oregon with an entrance scholarship. She also received a scholarship and a Bachelor of Arts from Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, Canada.
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- J.D., Lewis and Clark Law School, 2001
- B.A., Simon Fraser University, 1997
Professional and Community Involvement
- Multifamily NW serving Oregon and Southwest Washington, Board Member, 2018
- Oregon Women Lawyers (OWL), Member, 2018
- City of Portland, Rental Services Commission, 2018-2019
- Speaker, Multifamily NW Fall Apartment Report Breakfast, October 22, 2019
- Speaker, “Senate Bill 608 Update,” 2019 Spectrum Educational Conference & Trade Show, September 19, 2019
- Speaker, “Landlord Tenant Law Part II,” Multifamily NW Course, August 14, 2018
- Speaker, “How to Handle Fair Housing Complaints,” 2018 Oregon AHMA Annual Affordable Housing Conference, June 14, 2018
- Speaker, “Legal Issues that Impact Landlord and Tenant Laws,” Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants’ 2018 Real Estate Conference, June 13, 2018
- Speaker, “Individualized Criminal Assessment,” Fair Housing Fair Presented by Multifamily NW, February 8, 2018
- Speaker, “Rental Criteria Workshop,” Fair Housing Fair Presented by Multifamily NW, February 8, 2018
- Speaker, “Resident on Resident Complaint Response,” Fair Housing Fair Presented by Multifamily NW, February 8, 2018
- Oct 22, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partner Leah Sykes Featured Speaker at the Multifamily NW Fall Apartment Report Breakfast
- Sep 19, 2019 Greeenspoon Marder Partner Leah C. Sykes Featured Speaker At 2019 Spectrum Educational Conference & Trade Show
- Jan 10, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partner Leah Sykes Elected to the Board of the Trade Organization Multifamily NW Serving Oregon and Southwest Washington
- Aug 14, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Partner Leah C. Sykes Featured Speaker at Multifamily NW: Landlord Tenant Law Part II
- Jun 13, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Partner Leah C. Sykes Featured Speaker at the 2018 Oregon AHMA Annual Affordable Housing Conference
- Jun 13, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Partner Leah C. Sykes Featured Speaker at the Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants’ 2018 Real Estate Conference
- Apr 11, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Partner Leah C. Sykes Appointed to the Rental Services Commission for the City of Portland, Oregon
- Mar 9, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Client Alert: Summary of Changes to Portland Relocation Ordinance
- Feb 8, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Partner Leah Sykes to be a Featured Speaker at the 2018 Fair Housing Fair
- Sep 18, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Expands Litigation Practice Group With The Addition of Four Attorneys in Portland