Michael Capellupo is an associate in the Real Estate practice group at Greenspoon Marder. He focuses his practice primarily on commercial real estate financing that involves multi-million dollar properties, numerous parties, and complex financing solutions.
Skilled at guiding his clients through the volatility of the real estate market, Mr. Capellupo recognizes his clients’ needs for an attorney who has both a business mindset to negotiate complex business terms and a litigation background to anticipate and resolve issues if the deal does not go as planned. As a former litigator, Mr. Capellupo has successfully argued hundreds of court cases involving both commercial and residential real estate and leverages that experience to advise clients and protect their interests on the front end of deals. Mr. Capellupo skillfully represents a wide range of lenders, including national banking institutions, thrift associations, investment management firms, and private investors.
Mr. Capellupo has since expanded his already growing practice in secondary market loan transactions and collateral “loan-on-loan” financing, where his litigation experience provides an unparalleled insight into the validity and enforceability of underlying loan documents, clouds on title, pending litigation, and other aspects of the due diligence process. Mr. Capellupo’s experience and perception has been key to closing many high stakes, multimillion dollar financing transactions involving properties throughout the country.
Prior to joining Greenspoon Marder, Mr. Capellupo was an associate at a boutique commercial real estate firm in New York, New York and a prominent mid-level real estate firm in Garden City, New York. Mr. Capellupo has also practiced with Bruce J. Bergman, a leading authority on mortgage securities and loan enforcement mechanisms in New York.
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 2013
- Archibald R. Murray Public Service Award
- Fordham Journal of Corporate & Financial Law
- B.A., magna cum laude, Queens College, International Business, 2010
- $380MM collateral financing for commercial construction mortgage loans on portfolio of properties, including an 820,000 square foot five-star hotel, residential condominium, retail, and office development project in Portland, Oregon, and a 256,000 square foot office, retail, parking and multifamily development project in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- $129MM purchase of commercial mortgage loans on portfolio of multifamily properties in Santa Monica and Los Angeles, California.
- $111MM acquisition and refinance of existing mortgage loans on two prominent hotel properties in New York, New York.
- U.S. News and World Report, “Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch,” Real Estate Law, 2024
- Super Lawyers, recognized as a “Top Rated Real Estate Attorney in New York, NY” and a “New York Metro Rising Star,” 2019—Present