Rebecca Lawlor Calkins is a partner in the Litigation practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. Ms. Calkins has extensive experience in a wide variety of business litigation matters for clients in the technology, software and music industries. She has successfully handled notable copyright and trademark infringement matters, including landmark copyright victories in high profile cases.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- J.D., Loyola Law School, 1997
- International and Comparative Law Journal, Editor
- B.S., University of Southern California, Marshall School of Business, 1988
- Represented internet site where plaintiff musicians and music companies alleged numerous copyright and trademark infringements and violations of rights of publicity relating to the extensive collection of rock memorabilia and recordings once owned by legendary concert promoter Bill Graham and available on the site. The District Court dismissed all claims against the internet site without leave to amend and granted the internet site its full attorneys’ fees under 17 U.S.C. § 505 of the Copyright Act.
- Represented music publishers and prevailed on summary judgment where publishers had been sued for copyright infringement over the Jay-Z song “Big Pimpin’.” The Ninth Circuit affirmed the District Court’s decision in favor of the music publishers.
- Obtained dismissal of a copyright infringement action against international music publisher over the Jay-Z song “Big Pimpin’” for lack of standing.
- Obtained complete dismissal for international motor sport celebrity from lawsuit seeking over $21 million in damages in connection with a joint stock company formed in the Czech Republic.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Los Angeles Business Journal, “Top Litigators & Trial Lawyers,” 2019
- Los Angeles Business Journal, “Leaders in Law,” 2019
In the News
- Featured, “Leaders in Law,” Los Angeles Business Journal, October 15,2019
- Featured, “Los Angeles Office Leads Growth of Greenspoon Marder,” Daily Journal, April 22, 2019
- Oct 3, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Supports Los Angeles Mentoring’s 21st Annual Soiree
- Aug 19, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partner Rebecca Lawlor Calkins Selected As One Of Los Angeles Business Journal’s “Top Litigators and Trial Lawyers” For 2019
- Aug 19, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partner Rebecca Lawlor Calkins Selected As One Of Los Angeles Business Journal’s “Top Litigators And Trial Lawyers” 2019
- Apr 23, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Continues Expansion on the West Coast with the Opening of Los Angeles Office