Stephen A. Lenn has practiced law for almost 40 years, serving in both senior corporate and law firm management positions, counseling clients on business as well as legal issues. In November, 2017 he joined Greenspoon Marder, a rapidly expanding national firm based in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, to open its Phoenix office. Prior to returning to the practice of law in Arizona in 2010, for more than 12 years he acted as a business consultant and investment banker, working primarily with privately owned small and middle market companies in connection with strategic and business planning, capital formation and the sale of businesses and assets.
Mr. Lenn recently received recognition for the 35th anniversary of his rating at the highest level of the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review process, AV, 5.0 out of 5, and as one of the top bank lawyers in Arizona in the rankings published by AZ Business Magazine. He is a member of the Arizona, California, New York and Ohio bars. While engaged in the investment banking business, Mr. Lenn also held Financial Institution Regulatory Authority Series 7, 63 and 79 licenses. Mr. Lenn has been a guest lecturer at The Walker Center of Global Entrepreneurship of The Thunderbird Graduate School of Global Management, teaching a class in a Law for Entrepreneurs course for which he helped design the curriculum.
Working with both public and private entities, his legal experience has focused on general business/corporate and securities law, mergers and acquisitions and corporate and real estate finance, as well as banking law and regulation, lender and borrower representations in negotiating and documenting credit transactions and problem asset resolutions. He has both served as special counsel to federal and state bank regulatory authorities, nationally and regionally, and has negotiated with them on behalf of financial institutions in connection with the resolution of regulatory orders and proceedings. As both in-house and outside general or special counsel for financial institutions, he has developed and executed strategies for and coordinated multi-jurisdictional programs and systems for asset dispositions and litigations.
Mr. Lenn has prepared both private offering memoranda and registration statements in connection with private and public offerings of securities, and has represented offerors and both individual and institutional investors in connection with transactions exempt from the registration requirements of federal and state securities laws. He has also conducted investigations for committees of independent corporate directors, and successfully resolved enforcement inquiries and investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission (the SEC).
Over the past three and a half years, in addition to continuing in a “conventional” corporate, transactional and corporate finance practice, Mr. Lenn has been engaged in cannabis industry merger, acquisition and finance transactions involving more than than $1 billion, many with multi-state and/or international components.
- New York
- J.D., Columbia University Law School
- B.A., Tufts University, cum laude
- Speaker, “Establishing Realistic Yield Upside & Valuation Expectations Before Joining the Green Rush,” Arcview Investor Forum, February 6, 2019
- Speaker, “Bold Market Predictions,” Arcview Investor Forum, November 13, 2018
- Speaker, “Investment Panel – IP, Tech, Startup, Innovation, Disruption, Challenges and Opportunities,” Cannabis LAB Conference, November 7, 2018
- Speaker, “Legal Concerns For Cannabis Investors and the State of the Industry,” Kahner Global Cannabis Private Investment Summit, October 23, 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV® Preeminent ™
- Martindale Hubbell, “Arizona Top Rated Lawyer,” 2018
In the News
- Featured, “Greenspoon Marder Continues to Expand, Opens Office in Phoenix,” Daily Business Review, November 29, 2017
- Featured, “Greenspoon Marder Announces Further Expansion With Office Opening In Phoenix,” Phoenix Business Journal, November 27, 2018
- Author, “Is There A Pot-Com Bubble On The Horizon?,” Thomson Reuters Westlaw, February 20, 2019
- Author, “Cannabis M&A Momentum Will Continue to Surge in the Wake of Constellation’s Watershed Deal,” Cannabis Business Times, January 31, 2019
- Author, “Corona Owner’s Investment A Turning Point For Cannabis,” Law360, September 11, 2018
- Greenspoon Marder Supports the 2019 Arcview Investor Forum in Los Angeles
- Greenspoon Marder Supports the Las Vegas Arcview Investor Forum
- Greenspoon Marder Supports the 3rd Annual Cannabis Private Investment Summit
- Greenspoon Marder Client Alert: Constellation Brands’ $3.8 Billion Investment Promises Growth & Consolidation for the Cannabis Industry
- Greenspoon Marder Partner Stephen Lenn Selected as a “2018 Arizona Top Rated Lawyer” by Martindale Hubbell
- Greenspoon Marder Supports The Women’s Board Of Barrow Neurological Foundation’s 2018 Barrow Grand Ball
- Greenspoon Marder Announces Further Expansion With Office Opening In Phoenix