Alan G. Tippie is a partner in the Bankruptcy & Reorganization practice group at Greenspoon Marder. He represents a wide range of clients in matters from business litigation and financial restructuring to reorganization and insolvency disputes. With an emphasis on creditor/debtor disputes, Mr. Tippie handles federal and state court litigation, as well as bankruptcy and related matters, on behalf of parties on all sides of these issues, including business participants, investors, creditors, fiduciaries, debtors, and institutional clients.
On behalf of trustees and debtors in possession, he assists the client to manage, reorganize, or liquidate distressed companies for the benefit of estate creditors and other interest holders, with the goal to maximize value and ensure assets are distributed according to court-approved plans of reorganization or liquidation and statutory guidelines. He serves as a receiver by appointment from the Superior Court of the State of California, and as a private trustee and estate executor. As a receiver, Mr. Tippie manages receivership estates on behalf of financial institutions and other litigants that have sought his appointment.
As an established thought leader among the bankruptcy community, he lectures on business law topics to law firms, accounting firms, business groups, and legal organizations. Prior to joining Greenspoon Marder, Mr. Tippie served for over 41 years as a member of SulmeyerKupetz, one of the premier business, financial restructuring and litigation firms in California. He was president of the firm from 1987-2014, and afterwards served as Chairman of the Board.
- J.D., with honors, Loyola Law School, 1979
- B.A., Ohio State University, 1976
- Obtained $10-million jury verdict in action for fraud and misappropriation of trade secrets on behalf of major dairy products manufacturer.
- Successfully resolved multi-defendant fraudulent transfer action to recover millions of dollars for client.
- Secured orders for the appointment of receivers and recovered fraudulently transferred assets for major national bank.
- Successfully defended board members wrongfully accused of breaches of fiduciary duties.
- On behalf of major computer-aided manufacturer, obtained $15-million judgment against international corporation for fraud and deceit.
- Through summary proceedings, obtained $7.5-million judgment on a contested personal guarantee.
- Represented largest non-insider creditor in relation to Chapter 11 bankruptcy of major poultry producer.
- Advised institutional lenders in connection with enforcement and collection of secured and unsecured loans.
- Assisted clients in numerous restructurings of real estate, manufacturing, distribution, and service industry businesses and operations.
- Represented largest creditor in major dairy farm case to collect 100% plus interest on multi-million-dollar claim.
- Represented creditors’ committees in successful reorganizations of Chapter 11 debtors.
- Served as special bankruptcy counsel to Orange County Transportation Authority in Orange County Chapter 9 proceedings.
- Successfully restructured Chapter 9 debtor in healthcare-related proceeding.
- Created a multi-layered organization to cultivate, process and manage cannabis operations in the State of Nevada.
- Represented international trade brand in successful acquisition by major brand accelerator.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Loyola Law School, Board of Governors, Past President and Member
- Adjunct Professor – Bankruptcy Law
- Thomas More Law Honor Society, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Financial Lawyers’ Conference, Member
- Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section
- Altadena Town and Country Club, Board Member
- Super Lawyers magazine, “California Super Lawyers,” 2006-Present
- Oct 12, 2023 Greenspoon Marder Corporate Practice Group Successfully Represents Spring Mountain Vineyard, Inc.
- Jan 9, 2023 Seven Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers in Southern California for 2023
- Jul 11, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Expands Bankruptcy Practice Group With The Addition of Nine New Attorneys in Downtown Los Angeles