Peter Stathopoulos is of counsel in Greenspoon Marder’s Entertainment & Sports and Tax practice groups. His practice is concentrated on entertainment incentives for film, television, digital entertainment and music clients, state and local taxation, and film and television corporate and transactional work.
With more than 27 years of state tax and entertainment law experience, Mr. Stathopoulos currently represents or has represented major motion picture studios, streaming platforms, television networks, cable companies, independent film production companies, and others in the entertainment industry, as well as lenders in film tax credit lending deals. Mr. Stathopoulos has represented clients in connection with film tax credit transfer/lending deals totaling over $250 million.
Mr. Stathopoulos is chair of the governmental affairs committee for the Georgia Production Partnership, is on the steering committee of the Georgia Screen Entertainment Coalition, serves on the Georgia Department of Revenue Film Tax Credit Advisory Board, and is a former chair of the Taxation Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia. As such, Mr. Stathopoulos has helped shape tax policy related to the Georgia Entertainment Industry Investment Act, which helped make Georgia one of the leading U.S. destinations for film, television, and digital entertainment productions.
Mr. Stathopoulos is also a frequent speaker on entertainment incentives and state and local tax issues. Additionally, he has been published or quoted in various publications, including Variety, Total Retail, Oz Magazine, The Journal of Multistate Taxation, Atlanta Business Chronicle, and State Tax Notes.
- J.D., University of Georgia School of Law, 1993
- B.A., Economics, Vanderbilt University, 1990
- On behalf of entertainment industry clients and coalitions, helped draft portions of Georgia’s Entertainment Industry Investment Act.
- Represented clients in deals involving the sale of more than $250 million in Georgia entertainment tax credits.
- Litigated state tax controversies before the Georgia Tax Tribunal, and Georgia trial and appellate courts.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Georgia Production Partnership, Governmental Affairs Committee, Chair, 2019 – present
- Georgia Screen Entertainment Coalition, Steering Committee, 2019 – present
- State Bar of Georgia, Taxation Law Section, Chair, 2015
- Speaker, Columbus Film Commission Quarterly Meeting, September 22, 2021
- Oct 13, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Alan Clarke and Peter Stathopoulos Participate In Georgia Intellectual Property Alliance’s 15th Annual 2021 Corporate Intellectual Property Institute®
- Sep 21, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Attorney Peter Stathopoulos Featured Speaker at the Columbus Film Commission Quarterly Meeting
- Jul 12, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Expands Entertainment, Media & Technology Industry Group With The Addition of Eight New Attorneys in Atlanta and New York