Ahmand R. Johnson is a partner in the Entertainment & Sports practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. His practice spans transactional matters in entertainment and sports, intellectual property, and commercial litigation.
In his entertainment practice, Mr. Johnson represents renowned artists, record companies, songwriters, producers, and production companies in copyright, licensing, financing, content acquisition, production, digital distribution and music matters. He also advises media and entertainment clients regarding advertising, sponsorship and talent agreements as well as use of social media and websites.
Mr. Johnson represents athletes on licensing and sponsorship matters, Title IX matters, civil litigation and criminal and regulatory matters.
Mr. Johnson’s intellectual property experience includes trademark and copyright prosecution, trademark and trade dress infringement litigation, trademark cancellation and opposition, and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board appeals.
Mr. Johnson’s litigation practice includes 15 years of litigation experience in federal, state, and bankruptcy courts, representing individuals and companies in high stakes commercial litigation including multimillion dollar partnership disputes, contract disputes, and securities fraud litigation. He has extensive experience managing protracted litigation in various industries including finance, health care, automotive, construction, retail and manufacturing.
Before joining Greenspoon Marder, Mr. Johnson was the head of the Sports and Entertainment practice group at a prominent international law firm.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, 2005
- B.A., Brown University, Political Science, 2000
- Represented multi-platinum music producer with over 50 million units sold in multimillion dollar dispute over rights in a major label artist.
- Negotiated several option and shopping agreements on behalf of influencers and reality talent.
- Successfully represented several producers and songwriters in album takedown demand against major label and recovered 100% of album proceeds on clients’ behalf.
- Obtained repudiation of recording and publishing contract on behalf of minor recording artist and subsequently secured major label distribution deal on behalf of artist.
- Successfully defended Pro-Bowl NFL client against $3.5 Million reimbursable breach claim by NFL club in case of first impression under NFL collective bargaining agreement.
- Twice obtained and negotiated NFL contract for player with no collegiate athletic experience.
- In case of first impression, obtained contractual release for professional football client from auxiliary professional football league contract restricting transition to NFL.
- Successfully defended celebrity athlete client in high profile felony criminal matter, resulting in dismissal of charges.
- Represented All-Conference NCAA Division I football player in criminal investigation, resulting in local law enforcement declining to file charges.
- Represented NCAA Division I basketball player in criminal and Title IX investigations, resulting in local law enforcement declining to file charges and dismissal of Title IX probe.
- Represented 30 American auto dealerships in multi-jurisdictional multimillion dollar litigation against international automobile manufacturing conglomerate.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice and entitlement to attorney’s fees and costs on behalf of commercial unit owner and smoke shop against condominium board.
Professional and Community Involvement
- National Football League Player Association (NFLPA) Certified Contract Advisor
- Black Entertainment and Sports Lawyers Association (BESLA) Member
- Florida Bar Entertainment Arts & Sports Law Section Member
- Speaker, “Attorneys vs. Agents in the Representation of Professional Athletes,” Continuing Legal Education course, Florida Bar
- South Florida Legal Guide, “Entertainment & Sports,” 2020
- Broward County Legal Aid Service, Young Lawyer Award,” 2009
- Ivy League Football Championship, 1999