Gai Sher is senior counsel in the Innovation and Technology practice group, as well as the Corporate & Business and Entertainment & Sports practice groups at Greenspoon Marder LLP. Ms. Sher concentrates her practice on representing and advising startups, emerging growth companies, brands, creators, and executives in media, technology, and consumer products in all aspects of commercial transactions. Ms. Sher has experience in deal-making and structuring rights, talent, and production agreements in the podcasting industry and other new media spaces.
Originally from Israel, Ms. Sher has established relationships with the Israeli startup community, and, as a native Hebrew speaker, Ms. Sher assists Israeli companies seeking to enter the U.S. market. With an understanding of the Israeli marketplace, Ms. Sher assists clients in identifying investment opportunities and represents U.S. and Israeli companies to establish strategic partnerships and potential joint venture connections.
Prior to joining Greenspoon Marder, Ms. Sher was the Director of STX Entertainment’s Business and Legal Affairs group, handling diverse practice areas including: intellectual property, commercial contracts, business affairs, advertising and marketing agreements, new media and developing technologies, sponsorships, sweepstakes and contests, promotions, licensing, merchandising, regulatory and compliance matters, digital security/privacy, data tracking and analytics, e-commerce, corporate strategy and other ancillary rights throughout the lifecycle of all STXfilms, STXtelevision, and STXalternative projects having notably worked on Hustlers, Bad Moms, The Upside, The Gentlemen, Den Of Thieves, Molly’s Game, and most recently National Champions.
Before joining STX Entertainment, Ms. Sher worked at Sony PlayStation supporting the launch of the PlayStation Vue, working on network digital distribution agreements with Turner Broadcasting, NBC, CBS, and Discovery.
Ms. Sher earned her Juris Doctor from Northeastern University’s School of Law with concentrations in Intellectual Property & Innovation and Business & Consumer Law where she received high honors and honors distinctions in Corporate Finance, Advanced Legal Research and Writing, Transactional Drafting, Entertainment Law, Trademark and Branding Law, Patent Law, Copyright Law, Legal Counseling, Evidence, and Negotiation. Ms. Sher was also a Student Attorney at the Community Business Clinic.
During her law school tenure, Ms. Sher clerked at a Boston law firm, where she worked on various corporate matters including mergers, acquisitions, and finance deals, strategic partnerships and joint development agreements, including between a robotics company and a major international retail chain. Ms. Sher also contributed to the firm’s authored materials including articles and presentations on the fiduciary duties of directors, investments strategies in consumer companies, and license agreements in M&A transactions.
Ms. Sher graduated magna cum laude (Dean’s list all semesters), in three years, with Bachelor’s degrees in Advertising and Public Policy from both Syracuse University’s Newhouse School of Public Communications and the Maxwell School of Citizenship. Ms. Sher was also a teaching assistant in the Public Policy program. Ms. Sher is only licensed to practice in California.
- J.D., Northeastern University School of Law
- B.A., Syracuse University, Advertising, Public Policy, magna cum laude
- National Law Journal, “Cryptocurrency Trailblazer,” 2022
- Co-Author, “Unmasking AI bias: a collaborative effort,” Westlaw Today, July 21, 2023
- Co-Author, “Generative AI and copyright law: What’s the future for IP?” TechCrunch+, May 9, 2023
- Co-Author, “Kim Kardashian’s Ethereum Max ad violated the SEC’s anti-touting provision,” Coin Telegraph, October 12, 2022
- Co-Author, “If Crypto Platforms Go Bankrupt, What Happens to My Assets?” Blockchain Magazine, September 18, 2022
- Co-Author, “How Should the Seller of an NFT Report It for Tax Purposes?,” Bloomberg Tax, March 4, 2022
- Co-Author, “The Cannabis Industry Takes on NFTs,” Cannabis Business Executive, February 28, 2022
In the News
- Quoted, “‘Be Careful What We Wish For’: Jury Rules for Hermès in Historic MetaBirkin NFT Trademark Trial,” New York Law Journal, February 8, 2023
- Quoted, “Hermès vs. MetaBirkins: The NFT Case That Could Have Major Trademark and Artistic Consequences,” CoinDesk, February 6, 2023
- Quoted, “First NFT Trademark Trial Pits Hermès Against MetaBirkin Artist”, Bloomberg Law, January 27, 2023
- Quoted, “What Is Cryptocurrency, and How Does It Work?,” Reader’s Digest, August 19, 2022
- Quoted, “Biden’s executive order promises great things for the crypto industry — Eventually,” Cointelegraph, March 16, 2022
- Quoted, “Doing Music Deals in the Metaverse? Experts Answer Your FAQs,” Billboard Pro, March 13, 2022
- Featured, “Greenspoon Marder Adds Attys To Innovation And Tech Team,” Law360, January 26, 2022
- Mentioned, “Wake Up Call,” Bloomberg Law, January 26, 2022
- Aug 4, 2023 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Joseph MacLellan and Gai Sher Represent Client B Generous In Partnership with NFL Player Damar Hamlin
- Sep 1, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Senior Counsel Gai Sher Named to The National Law Journal’s 2022 Cryptocurrency Trailblazers List
- Jan 20, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Expands Innovation & Technology Practice Group in Los Angeles and Miami with Addition of Two New Attorneys