John L. Farquhar focuses his practice on real estate law with an emphasis on real estate development, acquisition, sale, loan workouts, financing and leasing. He has been the lead attorney in the acquisition and sale of large tracts of land for development and has experience with acquiring and restructuring troubled golf course communities.
Mr. Farquhar has represented both lenders and developers in loan workouts and has been the piloting attorney for the development of master planned communities with bundled golf courses and membership golf courses. He has assisted master planned communities with the annexation of adjacent redeveloping properties in order to strengthen the value of both properties and the existing golf club while controlling the costs of maintaining a gated community.
He also has experience with preparing the condominium documents for both luxury condominium communities and for conversions of more affordably priced communities.
Mr. Farquhar was at the forefront of obtaining the necessary local, regional and state approvals for the rezoning and approval of DRI’s 400,000 square foot expansion of the Coastland Center Regional Mall in Naples. Additionally, he was responsible for the preparation of documents and the negotiations for the acquisition, changes in land use plan, changes in zoning, financing, platting, and various other matters relating to the purchase, development and sale of a 600-acre tract of unimproved land in Broward County, Florida.
Mr. Farquhar also helped to spearhead the acquisition, development and financing of an environmentally sensitive island for development of exclusive single family home sites in Collier County.
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1975
- B.A., St. Lawrence University, 1972
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Member
- Collier County Bar Association, Member
- Broward County Bar Association, Member
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV® Preeminent ™
- U.S. News and World Report, “Best Lawyers in America,” Real Estate Law, 2013-2020
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Florida Super Lawyers,” 2006
- Legal Aspects of Condominium and Homeowners’ Associations in Florida
- Nov 8, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Selected as 2018 Legal Leaders
- Aug 15, 2018 35 Attorneys From Greenspoon Marder Listed In The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- Nov 14, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Receive 2018 AV Preeminent Rating By Martindale-Hubbell
- Nov 3, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Receive 2017 AV Preeminent Rating By Martindale-Hubbell
- Aug 14, 2017 34 Attorneys from Greenspoon Marder Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- Nov 26, 2016 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Selected as 2016 Legal Leaders
- Aug 15, 2016 32 Attorneys from Greenspoon Marder Listed in the Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Aug 17, 2015 25 Greenspoon Marder Law Attorneys Listed Among 2016 Best Lawyers in America
- Aug 21, 2014 Twenty-Three Greenspoon Marder Law Attorneys Listed Among Best Lawyers in America in 2015
- Aug 21, 2013 Twenty-Three Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Listed Among Best Lawyers in America in 2014
- Nov 1, 2012 Greenspoon Marder Named Among the 2013 “Best Law Firms”
- Aug 23, 2012 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Named Among The Best Lawyers in America® 2013