Jonathan Weiss is a partner with the Real Estate practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. Mr. Weiss has extensive experience in Corporate Real Estate with an emphasis on representing large global companies in leasing, subleasing, development, acquisition, disposition, and financing of office space throughout the U.S. and internationally. Mr. Weiss works closely with senior real estate executives and in-house counsel in structuring complex leasing, purchase and sale transactions, as well as advising his clients on the day-to-day real estate challenges that companies with large and diverse real estate portfolios encounter. In addition, Mr. Weiss is regularly called upon to assist in the transfer of real estate assets in connection with corporate dispositions, acquisitions and mergers of companies with large leasing portfolios. He also acts as ongoing general real estate counsel to one of the largest professional services firms and one of the largest media and market measurement companies in the U.S. In this role, Mr. Weiss has developed comprehensive approaches to real estate portfolio management, including implementing standard form leases, subleases, letters of intent, and requests for proposals.
Mr. Weiss also represents insurance companies, real estate developers, hedge funds, private equity funds, energy companies, manufacturers and national retailers in acquiring, developing, and leasing commercial, retail, and mixed-use real estate projects, negotiating purchase and sale agreements, brokerage agreements, architect’s agreements, and construction contracts. A significant portion of his practice focuses on negotiating and drafting New York City office and retail leases and subleases, regularly representing both landlords and tenants.
- New York
- New Jersey
- J.D., Temple University School of Law, cum laude, 1995
- B.A., Clark University, cum laude, 1990
- General Course Degree, London School of Economics and Political Science, 1989
- Representing and serving as ongoing counsel for one of the largest professional services firms in the U.S. in the leasing and disposition of office space in more than 30 states.
- Representing and serving as ongoing counsel for one of the largest media and market measurement companies in the leasing and subleasing of office space in the U.S., Europe, and Asia, including recent leases in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Sydney, Australia, and Singapore.
- Representing and serving as ongoing counsel for a Fortune 500 global insurance conglomerate in the leasing and disposition of office space in the U.S.
- Represented a global insurance conglomerate in the sale-leaseback of an office park in Middletown, New Jersey.
- Represented a professional services firm in the leasing of approximately 250,000 square feet of office space in midtown Manhattan.
- Represented a professional services firm in a build-to-suit lease in San Antonio, TX.
- Represented a professional services firm in the leasing and construction of 135,000 square feet of office space in Columbia, South Carolina.
- Represented a media and market measurement company in the leasing of approximately 200,000 square feet of office space in Chicago, Illinois.
- Represented a media and market measurement company in the leasing of approximately 150,000 square feet of office space in lower Manhattan.
- Represented a media and market measurement company in acquiring, developing, financing, and leasing of a 39-acre, 600,000-square-foot worldwide technology center in Oldsmar, Florida. Also represented the company with the sale of its former technology center in Dunedin, Florida.
- Represented a media and market measurement company in the leasing of 80,000 square feet of office space in a major downtown office building in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Represented a major U.S. publisher of industry and trade journals in the leasing and disposition of office space in major cities across the country.
- Represented one of the largest beverage importers in the leasing and expansion of its U.S. corporate headquarters in White Plains, New York and the leasing of its U.S. executive headquarters in the Chrysler Building in New York City.
- Represented a state convention center authority in the leasing of over 500,000 square feet of office, retail, and industrial space.
- Represented a state convention center authority in the sale of two office/industrial buildings.
- Represented a national developer in acquiring properties to enable the development of an arena for an NBA basketball team.
- Represented various hedge funds and private equity funds in the leasing and disposition of office space in New York City.
- Represented a Manhattan real estate developer in the leasing of prime Manhattan and Queens, New York commercial retail space.
- Represented a media and market measurement company in the subleasing of 155,000 square feet of office space in midtown Manhattan.
- Represented the owners of a building with more than 500,000 square feet of prime Manhattan office and retail space, including leasing to a high-profile restaurant, retail, and office tenants.
- Represented a celebrity stylist with the leasing of high-end salon locations in prime properties in Beverly Hills, Las Vegas, Greenwich, New York, and Dallas.
- Moderator, “Investment Strategies Involving Cannabis Real Estate,” Institutional Cannabis Conference East, October 21, 2019
- Speaker, “What Could Possibly Go Wrong? Key Issues to Resolve BEFORE an Office Lease Is Signed,” New York County Lawyers Association, June 13, 2019
- Co-Author and Lecturer, “Why did we agree to this?, How to avoid 9 common pitfalls when negotiating a commercial lease.” New York County Lawyers Association, April 25, 2018
- Co-Author and Lecturer, “Beyond the Basics: The top overlooked lease issues to negotiate.” New York County Lawyers Association, November 2, 2017
- Author, “Avoid Common Pitfalls When Drafting Operating Expense Clause,” Commercial Tenant’s Lease Insider, May 2018
- Author, “Put Restrictions on Owner’s Right to Erect Scaffolding,” Commercial Tenant’s Lease Insider, July 2007
- Author, “Get Right to Erect Scaffolding without Tenant Retaliation,” Commercial Lease Law Insider, July 2007
- Author, “Get Right to Replace Guarantor if You Assign Lease,” Commercial Tenant’s Lease Insider, July 2005
In the News
- Featured, “How COVID-19 Is Creating a New Tenant-Landlord Office Lease Reality,” Fool.com, July 7, 2020
- Quoted, “Converting Retail Into Commercial Space? Consider This,” GlobeSt, May 7, 2019
- Featured, “Before a Lease Is Signed… Amenity Charges in Cam and Operating Expenses,” The Habitat Group and New York County Lawyer’s Association CLE Seminar, June 13, 2019
- Jun 19, 2020 Greenspoon Marder Real Estate Partners Negotiate Long-Term Lease In Largest Washington, D.C. Office Relocation Of 2020
- Oct 21, 2019 Greenspoon Marder supports the Institutional Capital & Cannabis Conference East (IC3) in New York
- Jun 12, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partners Robert Reichman and Jonathan Weiss Featured Speakers For The New York County Lawyers Association’s CLE Institute
- Jan 28, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Expands Nationally With The Addition of Eight New Attorneys