Matthew D. Kanin is of counsel in the Wills, Trusts & Estates practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. Mr. Kanin focuses his practice on trust and estate litigation, decedent estate and trust administration, protective proceedings, and business litigation.
Mr. Kanin is a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law (by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization). His trust-and-estate law experience includes representing fiduciaries, beneficiaries, and proposed conservatees. His experience includes will and trust contests, accounting and fiduciary duty disputes, and fiduciary appointment matters.
Mr. Kanin actively serves on the Appointed Counsel (formerly known as “PVP”) panel of the Los Angeles Superior Court, representing proposed conservatees and other individuals with disabilities requiring court-appointed counsel. In 2018, Mr. Kanin was one of the speakers for the Los Angeles County Bar Association “Limited Conservatorship PVP Training”, a mandatory training program for court-appointed counsel in limited conservatorship cases; Mr. Kanin has also spoken on other estate, trust and probate issues for local bar associations.
In addition, Mr. Kanin’s practice serves the hospitality industry, representing hotel owners and operators, as general counsel, and in civil litigation. Mr. Kanin’s litigation experience includes civil trials, motions, and appeals.
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- J.D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, CA 2007
- B.A., International Affairs and Philosophy, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C. 2004
Professional and Community Involvement
- Volunteer Settlement Officer, Los Angeles Superior Court Probate Division, 2014 – Present
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Southern California Rising Stars,” 2015-2019
- Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law (Certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization)
In the News
- Quoted, “Zsa Zsa Gabor’s Husband Keeps Funds Flowing As She Nears 100,” Daily News, October 6, 2016