Scott J. Fuerst has a diverse legal real estate background which has evolved over the years into a broad based transactional commercial real estate practice from an early concentration in zoning, condominium and land use matters.
Mr. Fuerst has developed several sub-specialties within this commercial real estate practice including the representation of landlords and tenants in office building, shopping center and warehouse leasing, the acquisition, sale and financing of apartment complexes, office buildings, hotels, restaurants, retail centers and developable land, and negotiation of contracts with general contractors and architects. Financing vehicles utilized in the foregoing have included industrial development bonds, county and state housing authorities, municipalities, community redevelopment agencies, private partnerships, commercial and investment banks, insurance companies, mezzanine debt and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
Mr. Fuerst regularly serves as Florida counsel for out of state based lenders and represents national retailers and investors in acquisition, leasing and development opportunities throughout Florida, especially with respect to issuing opinions of counsel, providing advice regarding deal structuring to minimize Florida mortgage taxes, issuing title insurance policies as an agent for most of the largest underwriters in the country and addressing various hurdles to closing including title, zoning, restrictive covenants and lien issues.
A sample of the significant matters handled by Mr. Fuerst in Florida are:
- Negotiation of construction (and architect) contracts for the owner of one new hotel in Broward County and one expanded hotel in Hillsborough County with total construction in excess of $2,000,000,000.
- Termination of a residential condominium to reposition for sale as a rental complex.
- Acquisition of a 650,000 square foot office/industrial park.
- Acquisition of a single tenant (AT&T) 100,000+ square foot office building.
- Acquisition of land for development of affordable housing in Broward and Palm Beach Counties including community redevelopment agency and municipal contributions.
- Acquisition and sale of a Federal Express distribution center.
- Acquisition of land and negotiation of general contract for the construction of a $100,000,000 hotel in Broward County.
- Negotiation of contracts for the acquisition or sale of multi-family properties totaling in excess of 5,000 units.
- J.D., Temple University, 1975
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania, 1972
Professional and Community Involvement
- Animal Rights Foundation of Florida, Advisory Board
- Florida Bar Association, Member
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV® Preeminent™
- U.S. News & World Report, “Best Lawyers in America,” Real Estate, 2003-2020
- South Florida Legal Guide, “Top Lawyer,” 2009-2016
- Daily Business Review, “Top Dealmakers of the Year Award” Finalist, Real Estate, 2014
- South Florida Business & Wealth magazine, “Leaders In Law” Award, Finalist, Real Estate, 2014
- Daily Business Review, “Top Dealmakers of the Year Award,” Real Estate Finance, 2013
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Florida Super Lawyers,” Real Estate, 2006-2009
In the News
- Mentioned, “CBRE Capital Markets Team Executes Sale Of Class A Office Building In Sunrise,” CRE-sources, July 25, 2019
- Aug 15, 2019 33 Attorneys From Greenspoon Marder Listed in the Best Lawyers in America© 2020
- Nov 8, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Selected as 2018 Legal Leaders
- Aug 15, 2018 35 Attorneys From Greenspoon Marder Listed In The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- Nov 14, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Receive 2018 AV Preeminent Rating By Martindale-Hubbell
- Nov 3, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Receive 2017 AV Preeminent Rating By Martindale-Hubbell
- Aug 14, 2017 34 Attorneys from Greenspoon Marder Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- Nov 26, 2016 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Selected as 2016 Legal Leaders
- Aug 15, 2016 32 Attorneys from Greenspoon Marder Listed in the Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Jan 15, 2016 20 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Listed Among South Florida Legal Guide’s Top Lawyers in 2016
- Aug 17, 2015 25 Greenspoon Marder Law Attorneys Listed Among 2016 Best Lawyers in America
- Aug 21, 2014 Twenty-Three Greenspoon Marder Law Attorneys Listed Among Best Lawyers in America in 2015
- May 19, 2014 Complex Key West deal raced against start of hurricane season
- Jan 29, 2014 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Selected as Finalists for Lifestyle Media Group’s Leaders In Law Award
- Jan 16, 2014 Twenty One Attorneys Ranked as “Top Lawyers” and Greenspoon Marder Listed as a “Top Law Firm” in the 2014 South Florida Legal Guide
- Sep 11, 2013 Greenspoon Shareholder Closes Key West Hotel Sale Before Hurricane Season Deadline
- Sep 11, 2013 Greenspoon shareholder closes Key West hotel sale before hurricane season deadline
- Sep 10, 2013 Greenspoon Shareholder Closes Key West Hotel Sale Before Hurricane Season Deadline
- Aug 21, 2013 Twenty-Three Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Listed Among Best Lawyers in America in 2014
- Jun 12, 2013 Greenspoon Marder Shareholder Represents Miami-based Investment Firm in Purchase of $52 Million West Broward Office Complex
- Jun 8, 2013 Greenspoon Marder Shareholder Named as Finalist for Daily Business Review’s Top Dealmakers of the Year Award
- May 6, 2013 Greenspoon shareholder weathered the storm for Fannie Mae loan
- Nov 1, 2012 Greenspoon Marder Named Among the 2013 “Best Law Firms”
- Aug 23, 2012 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Named Among The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
- Jun 14, 2012 South Florida’s Top Rated Lawyers, 2012
- Dec 5, 2011 Greenspoon Marder Named as Top Law Firm 2012