Since 1981, Greenspoon Marder’s Banking & Finance Practice Group has provided local, regional, and national financial institutions with a full range of legal services, including regulatory, operational, and lending matters. Our team applies more than 39 years of in-depth knowledge, experience, and, because our attorneys are involved in the banking industry on many levels, a first-hand understanding of the intricate needs and risks of the second most highly regulated industry in America.
Our broad knowledge base enables us to provide practical advice and effective representation for entrepreneurs, investors, institutional lenders, and business corporations of all sizes, as well as individuals, with complex transactions in virtually any industry. With a focus on personalized client service, Greenspoon Marder provides on-call guidance to our banking clients in a wide variety of legal matters, including but not limited to:
- Asset-Based Loans
- Asset-Based Forbearance Agreements
- Asset Acquisitions & Divestitures
- Bank & Branch Operations
- Bank Start-Ups
- Collections & Creditors’ Rights (Contingency Basis)
- Commercial Finance
- Complex Corporate Transactions
- Corporate Governance
- Debt & Equity Finance
- Financial Restructuring
- Foreclosure Services (Incl. Bankruptcy, Evictions, Foreclosure, REO/Title, Loan Work Outs, Loss Mitigation)
- Institutional Real Estate Lending
- Joint Venture Agreements
- Lender Liability
- Leveraged Buyouts
- Loan Preparation & Modifications
- Loan Workouts
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Debt & Equity Financings
- Private Finance
- Private Placements
- Private Equity Transactions
- Purchase & Sales Agreements
- Secured & Unsecured Lending
- Securities Law Compliance
- Structure Seed & Venture Capital Investments
- Subsidiary Spin-Offs
- Regulatory Compliance & Defense
- Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) Disputes
- Heidi N. Boyles
- Mark J. Chmielarski
- Thomas F. Coyle
- Scott J. Fuerst
- Denise J. Ganz
- Ellen Gilmore
- Mark F. Grant
- Harlan Greenman
- Michael H. Krul
- David R. Lenox
- Mark Lynn
In response to dramatic shifts in the economic environment, Greenspoon Marder LLP has expanded to assist clients in managing the challenges that the real estate marketplace has presented.
Our attorneys regularly provide legal services and counsel to financial institutions, creditors, receivers, trustees, creditor committees, buyers of distressed assets, Commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) special servicers and investors. Wherever possible, our attorneys strive to resolve debtor/creditor issues in an out-of-court workout. Experience has shown that this approach can often lead to beneficial results for our clients with considerable cost savings, over the expense and risk of litigation.
Our team advises clients in evaluating their assets, establishing workout strategies, creating the workout’s legal structure, and then negotiating the workout.
Our team routinely handles:
- Chapter 11 Reorganization Proceedings: Bankruptcy filed under Chapter 11 is generally filed by business entities that require time to restructure debt and involves a reorganization of the debtor’s business affairs and assets pursuant to a court approved plan of reorganization.
- Out-of-Court Workout: A negotiated agreement between a debtor company and creditor for the reorganization of a company’s debt.
- Chapter 7 Liquidation: A sale of debtor’s non-exempt property and distribution of proceeds to creditors.
- Debt Restructuring Proposals to Lenders from Borrowers: Formation and negotiation of debt restructuring proposals on behalf of borrowers and institutional lenders.
- Assignments for the Benefit of Creditor Proceedings: Insolvency proceeding governed by state law, as an alternative to Chapter 11 and Chapter 7.
- State Court Corporate Liquidations: Legal representation of assignees, assignors, creditors and purchasers of assets in assignments for the benefit of creditors.
- Purchases from Distressed Situations: Legal representation of potential purchasers and purchasers of assets from entities and individuals in financial distress, including representation of borrowers and lenders for non-performing debt.
- Creditor Committee Representation: Representation or performance of services for an appointed, unsecured creditors’ committee or equity security holders’ committee.
- Trustee and Receiver Representation: Legal representation and performance of services for Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy trustees appointed in bankruptcy cases.
- Workout-Related Tax Planning and Consultation: Tax counsel pertaining to debt forgiveness, debt restructuring and exchange of property for debt, as well as debtor and creditor use and treatment of tax assets.
- Due Diligence for Non-Performing Assets
- Jun 29, 2020 Greenspoon Marder Partners Barry Somerstein, Mark Somerstein, And Alan Somerstein Recognized By IFLR1000
- Jun 22, 2020 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Recognized In Florida Trend’s 2020 “Legal Elite”
- Apr 27, 2020 Greenspoon Marder Partner Alan Somerstein Panelist For The “Understanding The Paycheck Protection Program Under The CARES ACT” Webinar
- Feb 11, 2020 Greenspoon Marder Partner Dana Somerstein Re-Appointed To The City Of Fort Lauderdale’s Complete Count Advisory Committee
- Oct 25, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Supports The 18th Annual Signature Grand Ghoul Benefitting 2-1-1 Broward
- Sep 26, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partner Dana Somerstein Appointed To The City Of Fort Lauderdale’s Community Services Board
- Jun 12, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partners Mark Somerstein, Barry Somerstein, And Alan Somerstein Recognized By IFLR1000
- May 6, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partner Alan Somerstein Selected As A 2019 “Up & Comer” By South Florida Business & Wealth
- Apr 15, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partner Dana Somerstein Named A University of Florida “40 Gators Under 40” For 2019
- Mar 12, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partner Dana Somerstein Appointed To The City Of Fort Lauderdale’s Complete Count Advisory Committee
- Aug 16, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Partners Barry Somerstein and Mark Somerstein Recognized As IFLR1000 Elite Dealmakers
- Jun 23, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Attorney Dana Somerstein and CMO Michelle Martinez Reyes Recognized As 2017 “Up and Comers” By South Florida Business & Wealth
- May 31, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Announces Rankings In Chambers And Partners USA 2017
- May 12, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Attorney Dana Somerstein Appointed To 2-1-1 Broward Board of Directors
- Feb 15, 2017 Eight Attorneys From Greenspoon Marder Listed In The Best Lawyers Business Edition 2017