Harlan Greenman is a member of the Real Estate group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. He has extensive experience in all aspects of complex commercial real estate, including financing, restructurings, workouts, development, sales and acquisitions, office and retail leasing, and joint ventures. He also has significant experience in connection with construction agreements, hotel management agreements and architect agreements. He has represented owners, investors and developers of office, hotel, multi-family residential and industrial properties, as well as banks and private lenders in connection with the acquisition, disposition and financing of commercial real property, and represented landlords and tenants in connection with office, retail and restaurant leases, in New York City and nationally.
- United States Federal Court, Southern District of New York
- United States Federal Court, Eastern District of New York
- New York
- J.D., Columbia University, 1982
- A.B., Columbia College, 1979
- Representation of major New York bank in connection with numerous mortgage loans.
- Representation of client in connection the acquisition and financing of a 300+ unit hotel project and subsequent sale of time share interests.
- Representation of major New York City landlord in connection with the office and retail leases of an under construction office tower with ground floor retail space.
- Representation of multi-state bank in connection with the bank’s leasing program in multiple states.
- Representation of client in connection with the ground leasing and subsequent development and financing of undeveloped land for a “power” shopping center.
- Representation of client in connection with a mezzanine loan facility by a private equity lender for the acquisition and renovation of a hotel project.
- Representation of client in connection with the creation of key infrastructure portions of the Second Avenue Subway Project.
- Representation of client in connection with the re-development of multiple building complex into a modern office tower and preservation of historic religious facility and related acquisition of development rights.
- Representation of client in connection with redemption of partnership interests in Manhattan real estate.
- Representation of a real estate joint venture in connection with the acquisition, development and construction loan financing for a hotel project in Lake Buena Vista, Florida
- Representation of major New York City developer in connection with the ground leasing and development of a major complex of office towers and retail space in Manhattan.
- Representation of client in connection with the acquisition and financing of a 240 unit apartment complex in Austin, Texas for an investment partnership.
- Representation of client in connection with the development of a mid-block office tower and trade show exhibition space for a private developer.
Professional and Community Involvement
- New York City Bar Association
- Real Property Law Committee, Current Member, Chair, Model Mortgage Loan Opinion Working Group of the Development and Finance Sub-Committee
- Land Use Planning and Zoning Committee, Member 1998-2001
- Construction Law Committee, Member, 1995-1997, Chair, Environmental Issues Subcommittee, 1995-1996
- American Bar Association, 1984-1990, 2017-2018
- International Council of Shopping Centers, Current Member and Speaker at U.S. Law Conference
- National Sawdust, Bravo Circle Supporter
- New York State Bar Association
- Real Property Law Section 1983-2004
- Environmental Legislation Committee 1989-1992
- Presenter, ” The Basics of Representing a Commercial Mortgage Borrower,” New York City Bar CLE Program, August 6, 2019
- Presenter, “Commercial Real Estate Law: The Basics & Beyond,” New York City Bar CLE Program, May 20, 2019
- Roundtable Leader, “Financing Down on the Farm: The Farming Act of 2018,” U.S. Law Conference, International Council of Shopping Centers, October 2018
- Roundtable Leader, “Restaurants and Alcohol Beverage, A License to Profits: Keeping the Closing—and the Opening—on Schedule,” U.S. Law Conference, International Council of Shopping Centers, October 2011
- Roundtable Leader, “The ABCs of ABC: Alcoholic Beverage Licensing and Compliance for National Tenants,” U.S. Law Conference, International Council of Shopping Centers, October 2008
- Panelist, “’Super’ Recognition Agreements: Protecting the Pre-Lease Subtenant,” ICSC U.S. Law Conference, January 2008
- Workshop Presenter, “The Subordinated Ground Lease,” ICSC U.S. Law Conference, October 27, 2006
- Presenter, “Residential Real Estate Closings: What You Need to Know from Pre-Contract to Closing,” New York City Bar CLE program, May 2003
- Chair and Presenter, Real Estate and the World Wide Web, U.S. Law Conference, International Council of Shopping Centers, October 1997
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV® Preeminent ™
- “Musings on Mandated Commercial Lease Renewal,” New York Law Journal, June 21, 2019
- Letters of Intent: A Blessing or a Curse?, Shopping Center Law & Strategy, Winter 2017
- The SNDA Trio: Lenders, Landlords and Tenants, Retail Law Strategist, Summer 2014
- Lien-Free Construction, No Loan Needed, Retail Law Strategist, Spring 2013
- A-B-C: Not as Simple as 1-2-3: Alcoholic Beverage Control and Licensing, Retail Law Strategist, March 2010
- Estoppel Certificates: Watch What You Say, But Don’t Fail to Say It, Retail Law Strategist, March 2008
- Building the Big Box in the Big City, Retail Law Strategist, July 2006
- Recognition Agreements vs. SNDAs, Retail Law Strategist, January 2004
- Sending Owners Notices via E-Mail, Commercial Tenant’s Lease Insider, October 2003 and Shopping Center Management Insider, January 2003 (Source)
- How to Protect Yourself if You Allow Notice by E-Mail, Commercial Lease Law Insider, Model Lease Language, May 2001 (Source)
- How to Ensure that Tenant’s Electronic Signature is Authentic, Commercial Lease Law Insider, Model Lease Clause, February 2001 (Source)
- Take Advantage of ‘Good Samaritan’ Law When Answering Tenant’s Y2K Questions, Model Letter, Professional Office Building Management, April 1999 (Source)
- Protect Yourself When Giving Tenant Y2K Representation, Model Lease Clause, Commercial Lease Law Insider, March 1999 (Source)
- Building a Home in Cyberspace, N.Y. Real Property Law Journal, New York State Bar Association, Winter 1997, reprinted in One on One Newsletter of the General Practice Section of the New York State Bar Association, Spring/Summer 1997, reprinted with permission in Title Management Today, April-May 1997
- Environmental Issues Facing Construction Contractors, The Record of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, November 1996, The Committee on Construction Law, Environmental Issues Subcommittee Chair
- Aug 6, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Of Counsel Harlan Greenman Featured Speaker At New York City Bar Program: “The Basics Of Representing A Commercial Mortgage Borrower”
- May 20, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Of Counsel Harlan Greenman Featured Speaker, New York City Bar, Commercial Real Estate Law: The Basics & Beyond Program
- Jul 2, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Attorney Harlan Greenman Appointed to the New York City Bar’s Real Property Law Committee
- Nov 1, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Expands New York Office with the Addition of Three New Attorneys