Michael H. Krul has been practicing law since 1973 and has experience in all areas of the finance department including mergers and acquisitions, securities and municipal finance transactions.
During the first eight years of his practice, Mr. Krul focused on litigation, defending corporations in complex securities, antitrust or other business related lawsuits. This experience enabled him to develop substantial familiarity with state and federal securities, antitrust and other business regulatory laws. It also provided him with experience on how to minimize the risk of subsequent litigation in a business transaction and maximize the client’s position should litigation ensue.
Mr. Krul has represented both buyers and sellers in a multitude of merger and acquisition transactions, including numerous deals in the $50-150 million range. Whether representing buyers or sellers, Mr. Krul’s primary goal is to use his knowledge and experience to resolve the inevitable issues that arise in any transaction so that the parties can close the deal on mutually acceptable terms.
Mr. Krul also has substantial experience in dealing with securities laws. He has represented issuers and underwriters in securities financings, including private placements and public offerings. In addition, he has advised clients on a host of other securities laws issues, such as stock option plans, insider trading issues, public company disclosure requirements, ’34 Act reporting, Rule 144 resale requirements and broker-dealer regulatory issues. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Krul was employed by the New York Stock Exchange and, as an attorney, served for many years as an arbitrator for the National Association of Securities Dealers.
As a public finance attorney, Mr. Krul has represented numerous counties, cities, special districts and other governmental issuers, as well as underwriters, in connection with municipal financings and public-private partnerships. He acted as the primary counsel in a special assessment financing pursuant to which a municipality, the school board and numerous developers with undeveloped property in that municipality, issued revenue bonds backed by assessments on the developers’ properties to secure the financing of two new public schools to be owed and operated by the school board, which was the first financing of this nature in the State. In addition, Mr. Krul represented the owners of professional sports teams in Florida in connection with stadium financing matters. He also represented a Florida county in connection with negotiating the arrangements to bring a major research facility to the county and finance their required facilities.
During the last several years, Mr. Krul has represented operators in the multifamily housing sector in connection with financing the equity for their projects through joint ventures with private equity funds and other institutional sources. In connection with this practice, he has engineered roll-up transaction involving the contribution of billions of dollars worth of assets into public real estate investment trusts.
- J.D., Brooklyn Law School, cum laude, 1973
- B.A., State University of New York, Buffalo, 1969
Professional and Community Involvement
- The Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, Member
- The Florida Bar Association, Member
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Section, Member
- The Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Member
- The Greater Fort Lauderdale Tax Council, Member
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV® Preeminent ™
- U.S. News & World Report, “Best Lawyers in America,” Corporate Law, 2011 & 2013-2020
- U.S. News and World Report, Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year,” Corporate Law, 2020
- Lifestyle Media Group’s Leaders In Law Award, Finalist, Securities and International Law, 2014
- South Florida’s “Top Rated Lawyers,” 2012
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Florida Super Lawyers,” 2007
- Co-Author, “Why LLCs are the Entity Du Jour for Small Business Owners, Summer 2005,” November 29, 2005
- Aug 16, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partner Michael Krul Selected As A “Lawyer of the Year” By Best Lawyers® For 2020
- Aug 15, 2019 33 Attorneys From Greenspoon Marder Listed in the Best Lawyers in America© 2020
- Nov 8, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Selected as 2018 Legal Leaders
- Aug 15, 2018 35 Attorneys From Greenspoon Marder Listed In The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- Nov 14, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Receive 2018 AV Preeminent Rating By Martindale-Hubbell
- Aug 14, 2017 34 Attorneys from Greenspoon Marder Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- Feb 15, 2017 Eight Attorneys From Greenspoon Marder Listed In The Best Lawyers Business Edition 2017
- Nov 26, 2016 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Selected as 2016 Legal Leaders
- Nov 3, 2016 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Receive 2017 AV Preeminent Rating By Martindale-Hubbell
- Aug 15, 2016 32 Attorneys from Greenspoon Marder Listed in the Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Aug 17, 2015 25 Greenspoon Marder Law Attorneys Listed Among 2016 Best Lawyers in America
- Aug 21, 2014 Twenty-Three Greenspoon Marder Law Attorneys Listed Among Best Lawyers in America in 2015
- Jan 29, 2014 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Selected as Finalists for Lifestyle Media Group’s Leaders In Law Award
- Nov 1, 2012 Greenspoon Marder Named Among the 2013 “Best Law Firms”
- Aug 23, 2012 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Named Among The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
- Jun 14, 2012 South Florida’s Top Rated Lawyers, 2012
- Nov 30, 2011 Bankruptcy Court Approves Sale of Ruden McClosky Assets to Greenspoon Marder
- Nov 1, 2011 Ruden McClosky Signs Asset Purchase Agreement with Greenspoon Marder