Brian Koegle is a partner in the Labor and Employment practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. He provides advice and counsel, including best hiring practices, employment contracts, wage and hour issues, compensation, discipline, and termination matters, to employers across various industries.
Mr. Koegle has extensive experience representing employers on various complex matters ranging from mediation, arbitration, litigation, administrative hearings, and defending employment discrimination and fair employment practice cases. He also assists employers in designing, drafting, modifying, and implementing personnel policies, procedures, and employee handbooks and conducts personnel policy audits. Mr. Koegle guides employers with respect to all aspects of wage and hour compliance, including overtime calculations, meal and rest period requirements, and statutory penalties arising from non-compliant policies and procedures. He also advises employers on leaves of absence, including family and medical leaves, alcohol and drug rehabilitation leaves, and leaves involving pregnancy-related disabilities. Additionally, Mr. Koegle counsels business owners on business and commercial disputes, including protection of trade secrets and proprietary information, and has first-chair trial experience litigating business and employment matters.
Before joining Greenspoon Marder, Mr. Koegle was a partner at a business law firm in California, handling business and employment counseling and litigation matters. He was also previously a partner at a boutique litigation law firm where he worked to resolve a wide array of business and employment disputes, commercial and civil litigation matters, and real estate cases.
Outside of Mr. Koegle’s legal practice, he is a frequent writer and sought-after speaker on a variety of labor and employment-related matters. Mr. Koegle is also an active member of the Labor and Employment Sections of the California State Bar and the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- Supreme Court of Texas
- J.D., Southwestern University School of Law, 2001
- B.A., The Ohio State University, Clinical Psychology, Economics, 1996
- Obtained a dismissal of all claims in return for a mutual waiver of costs in a claim for sexual orientation harassment, disability discrimination and wrongful termination in violation of public policy by a former regional manager of a Fortune 500 company;
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer, and successfully defended appeal in a state court action for “whistleblower” retaliation and wrongful termination;
- Successfully negotiated renewed collective bargaining agreement between Orange County manufacturing plant and Teamsters union representatives;
- Successfully defended administrative claims brought by workers claiming misclassification, unpaid commissions and overtime, failure to provide meal and rest periods and violation of California minimum wage requirements. Claimants were awarded nothing on their claims.
- Negotiated early settlement on claim brought by Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for racial discrimination and wrongful termination with clear liability, avoiding excessive costs of defense.
- Successfully resolved claims for sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation and wrongful termination in violation of public policy brought by multiple plaintiffs against small, closely held corporation, on claims with clear liability, at early mediation prior to disclosure of potential insurance coverage.
- In claim filed by employee with Retaliation Complaint Unit of California Department of Industrial Relations against non-profit organization, obtained dismissal of all claims prior to hearing.
- In Employment Development Department investigation into misclassification of independent contractors, successfully appealed a $268,000 assessment down to $4,500.
Professional and Community Involvement
- California State Bar Labor, Employment Section, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section, Member
- Speaker, “Navigating the Landscape of a Flexible Workforce,” Webinar, October 11, 2023
- Speaker, Employment Law Update, Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce, January 24, 2023
- Los Angeles Business Journal, “Leaders of Influence – Labor & Employment Attorneys,” 2022
- Santa Clarita Valley, “Man of the Year,” 2022
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Southern California Super Lawyer,” Employment & Labor, 2016-2023
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Southern California Rising Stars,” Employment & Labor, 2010-2015
In the News
- Quoted, “5 Major Wage And Hour Cases To Watch In 2023,” Law360, January 2, 2023
- Mar 27, 2023 Greenspoon Marder Expands Labor and Employment Practice with Addition of Partner Marie L. Wrighten
- Jan 13, 2023 FTC Proposes Rule on Non-Competition Agreements
- Jan 9, 2023 Seven Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers in Southern California for 2023
- Oct 24, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Announces Partner Brian Koegle Selected to be Profiled in Los Angeles Business Journal’s 2022 Leaders of Influence Special Section
- Oct 12, 2022 New Pay Transparency and Reporting Requirements for California Employers
- Sep 27, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Supports 2022 Oak Tree Classic Golf Tournament Hosted By the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Aug 24, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Labor & Employment Team Prevails on a Motion for Summary Judgment on Behalf of B&B Manufacturing, Co., Inc.
- May 10, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Partner Brian Koegle Named the Santa Clarita Valley “Man of the Year”
- Apr 4, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Expands Labor and Employment Capabilities with Addition of Three New Attorneys In Los Angeles