James Valvano is a partner at Greenspoon Marder LLP. He is also a member of the firm’s management committee. Mr. Valvano represents clients in complex commercial litigation and corporate transactions. He has extensive experience in the areas of commercial, corporate, securities and cyber security litigation. He also has experience representing clients involving securities, corporate transactions, investment funds, real estate, commercial lending, regulatory violations, fraud, insurance matters and a wide array of regulatory and compliance experience (including, but not limited to, audits and licensing). Mr. Valvano has also been called upon to act as an expert witness for various companies and governments and litigates a broad variety of matters in numerous federal and state courts throughout the country. He represents corporate clients as well as leaders of Fortune 500 corporations, large financial institutions, real estate developers, individual investors and entrepreneurs.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- Federal Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York
- Federal Bankruptcy Court, District of New Jersey
- New York
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- J.D., Western Michigan University, Thomson M. Cooley Law School, 1996
- Merit Scholarship
- M.B.A., St. John’s University, 1991
- B.A., Hofstra University, 1989
- Represented nine investors in Robert R. Ammarell, et al. v. George Swan, et al. involving millions of dollars in missing investments in an asset management fund.
- Represented dozens of investors in Bergen County court battle in a lawsuit and investigation into the potential loss of millions of dollars following the death of their investment fund manager. The matter has received significant media attention. The matter was posted in The Bergen Record.
- Negotiated an installment settlement for pennies on the dollar during litigation where a Chapter 7 trustee sought to recover multi-million dollars in alleged fraudulent and preferential transfers regarding a financial institution and ACH transactions.
- Issued expert report for County of Mercer, New Jersey on a multi-million dollar real estate matter.
- Issued expert opinions for high value commercial and insurance ($20-200 million) litigation matters.
- Issued expert report for client in a $200 million litigation matter.
- Issued expert reports for various clients in connection to litigation matters.
- Represented investors in litigation concerning millions of dollars in missing property rental income for an industrial complex in Windsor, Connecticut, which was formerly Aetna’s headquarters. Also, acted as the Asset Manager for the property. The matter was profiled in an article in the Hartford Business Journal.
- Represented client regarding tenancy after hurricane Sandy involving a New York City commercial building.
- Represents national title companies in insurance defense litigation.
- Represented medical group consisting of numerous medical centers involving RICO and other fraud claims against a medical management company.
- Represented two investors involving RICO and other fraud claims against a hedge fund.
- Represented client in a total product recall from 2014-forward by the FDA.
- Represented major corporations in complex NYSE mergers and non-public transactions.
- Issued various legal opinions for a variety of corporate clients.
- Issues legal opinions on multi-million dollar real estate transactions.
- Represented clients with regard to consumer financial services regulations.
- Represented clients with regard to audits by state and federal regulators regarding insurance companies and other regulatory matters.
- Represented clients with regard to audits of lending and insurance institutions.
- Represented numerous purchasers of jet aircrafts.
- Represented clients of equity and hedge funds.
- Represented clients forming de novo banks (Federally Chartered, Thrifts or OCCs).
- Represents a multi-million dollar franchisor in expanding their restaurants nationally with franchisees.
- Represented publicly traded solar power company in the formation, financing and development of a solar power facility in the driest desert in North America.
Financing and Real Estate
- Closed a real estate transaction in Washington State in excess of over $100 million.
- Represented corporate entities in real estate acquisitions and divestitures, security offering for condominiums and cooperatives, property owner associations, commercial leasing, insurance coverage, contract issues, title insurance matters, development and land use issues, financing and tax liability.
- Represented major client in lease transactions throughout the country.
- Represented lenders on matters including securitized and conventional mortgage loans, interim and mezzanine loans, construction, and commercial loans.
- Served as real estate counsel for 40 lending institutions, including some of the world’s largest banks.
- Represented builders and developers in a wide array of real estate and construction projects.
- Reviewed and counseled clients on lease agreements for over 18 years.
- Represented various clients in 1031 transactions.