Richard Giller serves as head of the Insurance Recovery and Counseling practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. He concentrates his practice on recovering insurance benefits from insurance companies on behalf of his institutional and individual clients. With over 35 years of experience, Mr. Giller develops litigation strategies for complex insurance & commercial disputes. He has represented policyholders all over the U.S. and has successfully secured hundreds of millions of dollars in defense costs, settlements, and indemnity payments on behalf of his clients.
Besides advising Fortune 500 clients, Mr. Giller represents collegiate and professional athletes, professional sports teams, and entertainers in securing payouts under various insurance products including permanent total disability (PTD), temporary total disability (TTD), and loss-of-value (LOV) insurance claims. Mr. Giller has also successfully obtained recoveries under event cancellation insurance, cast and crew insurance, and other entertainment-related insurance policies and coverages.
As a seasoned litigator, Mr. Giller has substantial experience defending complex products liability cases, representing clients in environmental litigation, and handling toxic tort matters. He has also tried several civil and commercial matters in state and federal courts, taking cases through arbitration and mediation. In addition, Mr. Giller has extensive appellate experience, including numerous appearances before several California Courts of Appeals, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, as well as authoring several amicus briefs filed with the California Supreme Court concerning significant insurance issues.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- J.D., Southwestern University School of Law, cum laude (Top 5%), 1984
- B.A., College of the Holy Cross, History, 1981
- Secured over $120 million in defense and indemnity payments from an insurer on behalf of a Fortune 500 client in a Qui Tam action involving over a dozen written court opinions.
- Successfully sued parent insurance company for bad faith and breach of fiduciary duties in connection with the sale of a life insurance subsidiary to buyer known for denying claims.
- Secured millions of dollars in payouts on behalf of MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL players under permanent disability and loss-of-value insurance policies.
- Crafted cost-of-insurance nationwide class action complaint involving hundreds of thousands of potential class plaintiffs arising out of employer provided universal life policies.
- Secured $20 million in insurance coverage from Environmental, D&O, P&C and Business Interruption insurers, in a case involving criminal indictments and proceedings.
- Featured Panelist, Year in Review: COVID-19 Business Interruption Insurance Cases Involving Professional Sports, as part of the Technotainment 2021: Distributing Content Across Multiple Platforms webinar, put on by the Praticising Law Institute (PLI), September 17, 2021
- Featured Panelist, Sports Organization Legal Challenges and Opportunities Arising from the COVID-19 Pandemic, at the Sports Lawyers Association 2021 Annual Conference, May 18, 2021
- Featured guest on the LEAD1 Angle Podcast hosted by former NBA star and LEAD1 Association President, Tom McMillen, discussing College Sports Insurance Issues Including NIL Insurance Coverages, April 6, 2021
- Featured Panelist, COVID-19 Related Emerging Lawsuits and Liability Issues, at the Global Security Exchange Plus (GSX+) conference put on by ASIS International, September 24, 2020
- Interviewed by former NFL lineman, Ross Tucker, for the highly rated Ross Tucker Football Podcast, discussing athlete disability insurance, August 10, 2020
- Featured Panelist, COVID-19 Legal Issues and Considerations, sponsored by the National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security and The University of Southern Mississippi, June 11, 2020
- Featured on the Trustees and Presidents – Opportunities and Challenges with Intercollegiate Athletics Podcast hosted by Drexel University Associate Professor Karen Weaver, discussing Liability and Lawsuits: What to Know in the COVID-19 Era. (June 10, 2020).
- Appeared as a guest on the Halforf & Brough Canadian sports radio show (TSN 1040) discussing sports insurance for COVID-19 sports claims, June 1, 2020
- Featured Panelist, along with Congresswoman Donna Shalala, and LEAD1 Association President Tom McMillen: Survive and Advance: Understanding the Legal and Cultural Impacts of COVID-19 on College Sports, a webinar sponsored by Pillsbury and LEAD1. (May 27, 2020).
- Featured on The Business of Sports Podcast hosted by former Vice President and General Counsel of the Green Bay Packers, Andrew Brandt, discussing sports insurance and insurance for COVID-19 sports losses. (March 25, 2020).
- Guest Lecturer: Sports and Event Cancellation Insurance for COVID-19 Sports Losses presented to the Business of Professional Sports class at Villanova University’s School of Law, March 24, 2020
- Featured on the Sports360 Podcast hosted by former MLB Players Association Assistant General Counsel Jeff Fannell on Insurance for COVID-19 Losses, March 16, 2020
- Featured guest on HBCU Gameday discussing California’s Fair Pay to Play Act. (November 6, 2019).
- Guest Lecturer: An Introduction to Property, Auto and Disability Insurance, UCLA Anderson School for Management of Enterprise in Media, Entertainment, and Sports, July 10, 2019
- Guest Lecturer: Who’s Looking Out for Student Athletes, Summer Classroom Series presented by Pepperdine University’s Institute for Entertainment, Media, Sports, and Culture and the California Lawyers Association, July 10, 2019
- Featured Panelist, Breaking a Leg Without Breaking the Bank: A Primer on Insurance Vehicles for Athletes, at City National Bank’s second annual Pro Sports Business Management Summit, May 9, 2019
- Guest Lecturer: Insuring Against Missed Opportunities: The Athlete and Loss of Value Insurance, USC Leventhal School of Accounting, Risk Management Program, March 21, 2019
- Participated in a 40+ minute interview with Jonathan Yates of www.CollegeAd.com. The Culture of Sports: Richard Giller Discusses Student-Athletes Insurance, February 1, 2019
- U.S. News and World Report, “Best Lawyers in America,” Litigation-Insurance, 2021-2022
- Los Angeles Business Journal, “Los Angeles Entertainment and Sports Law Attorney of the Year,” Finalist, 2017
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Southern California Rising Stars,” 2010-2011, 2014-2015
- Co-author, How U.S. Courts Have Dealt With COVID-19 Business Interruption Insurance Cases Involving Pro Sports Teams, Law in Sport. (July 22, 2021).
- Co-author, The Need for Insurance Options to Protect NFTs, published in the Fintech, Insurance, IP, Media & Entertainment, Retail & E-Commerce, Sports & Betting and Technology Law360 newsletters. (July 12, 2021).
- The Far-Reaching Consequences of the California Court of Appeal’s Recent Opinion in McNair v. NCAA, Sports Litigation Alert. (February 26, 2021).
- Co-author, Insurers Should Stop Crying Wolf and Start Paying Valid COVID-19 Claims, published by com/AmLaw family of publications, including the Texas Lawyer. (November 11, 2020).
- Author, Liability Issues Related to the Return of College Football, Los Angeles Daily Journal. (September 28, 2020).
- Author, Analyzing COVID-19 Liability Protections in the HEALS Act, Los Angeles Daily Journal and San Francisco Daily Journal. (August 6, 2020).
- Co-author, Pandemic Risk Insurance Act can have a positive impact on American sports, Street & Smith’s Sports Business Journal Newsletter “Unpacks,” July 13, 2020
- Author, Return to play for US college sports – legal risks, liability waivers and best practices, Law in Sport. (June 25, 2020).
- Author, Insurers Should Have Been Better Prepared for Virus, Los Angeles Daily Journal, Guest Column (April 16, 2020).
- Author, The Seemingly Never-Ending Case of Todd McNair v. The NCAA Provides a Rare Glimpse into the Association’s Secretive Infractions Process, ABA Entertainment & Sports Lawyer. (March 2020).
- Author, Five Tips to Help Minimize or Eliminate Reputational and Economic Disruptions Caused by COVID-19, Where We Stand: The LEAD1 COVID-19 Report. (March 19, 2020).
- Co-author, Insuring Student-Athletes: What are the Federal Income Tax Implications of Schools Buying Disability Policies? Law in Sports website. (February 11, 2020).
- Author, “Tua Tagovailoa: A Case Study Involving the Importance Of Purchasing Loss-Of-Value Insurance Coverage,” Sport Litigation Alert, December 20, 2019
- Author, “Calif. Is Chipping Away At NCAA’s Monopoly On Amateurism,” Law360, December 19, 2019
- Who Is Looking Out For Student-Athletes When Schools Purchase Disability Insurance For Them: A Case Study, Business Law News (published by the California Lawyers Association). (March 2019).
In the News
- Quoted extensively in a Sportico article entitled: NCAA v. Alston Ruling Refuels Athlete Insurance Market. July 7, 2021
- Quoted in a Kaiser Health News article entitled: What COVID Means for the Athlete’s Heart. April 6, 2021
- Quoted in a CBS Sports article by Dennis Dodd entitled NCAA to pay entire $613 million revenue distribution to members if NCAA Tournament completed in its entirety. February 24, 2021
- Quoted in a Business Insurance Magazine article entitled Esports Exposures Evolve as Events Take Off. February 16, 2021
- Quoted in a Sportico article entitled Lost LOV (Part 2): An Insurer Takes Flak Over the College Athlete Coverage Bubble. February 10, 2021
- Quoted in a Yahoo! Sports article entitled MLB Sues for Billions as Pandemic Lawsuits Parse the Meaning of “Or.” December 7, 2020
- Quoted in a Business Insurance Journal article entitled Insurance coverage curveball for sports events. September 1, 2020
- Interviewed by former NFL lineman, Ross Tucker, for the highly rated Ross Tucker Football Podcast, discussing athlete disability insurance. August 10, 2020
- Quoted in a Business Insurance Journal article entitled Student athlete COVID-19 waivers likely won’t block lawsuits. July 21, 2020
- Quoted in a Wall Street Journal article entitled Schools Ask Athletes to Accept Health Risks Amid the Pandemic. July 20, 2020
- Quoted several times in two Street & Smith’s Sports Business Journal Newsletter articles entitled: Ensuring the Future and Legal issues could take years to sort in. (July 13, 2020).
- Quoted extensively in a Sportico article entitled Insuring Patrick Mahomes’s Massive Contract. July 9, 2020
- Quoted numerous times in three College Athletics and The Law articles entitled: Understand role of insurance coverage, liability issues related to managing impact of pandemic on athletics, Prepare for potential decline in you sports pipeline, and Review Q&As regarding various return-to-play scenarios. July 8, 2020
- Quoted throughout a Sportico article entitled: Cancellations Set the Stage for Sports vs Insurance Industry Showdown. July 2, 2020, (Sportico’s inaugural edition)
- Quoted extensively in How Student Athlete Insurance Protects Financial Futures, November 13, 2017
- Quoted extensively in “Entertainment Law Roundtable, What Media, Sports and Gaming Professionals Need to Know,” The Los Angeles Business Journal, February 6, 2017
- Quoted extensively in Mike Tanier’s Combine Notebook: Brandon Doughty Climbs the Board, Insurance and Reassurance, February 27, 2016