Robert P. Reichman is a partner with the Real Estate practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. He has more than 30 years of experience as a real estate lawyer representing tenants and landlords in the leasing of office, retail, and industrial properties, as well as acquisitions, divestitures, and financing of office buildings and shopping centers.
Mr. Reichman concentrates his practice in corporate real estate and representing multi-national companies in their office leasing requirements and dispositions throughout the U.S. and abroad. In this capacity, he handles the U.S. leasing and disposition requirements for one of the most prominent professional services firms in the world, as well as a worldwide media measurement and marketing information company.
As outside real estate counsel for many firms, he is often called upon by clients to assist in the structuring of real estate transactions. Mr. Reichman is also called upon to assist in the transfer of real estate assets in connection with corporate acquisitions and mergers of companies with large real estate lease portfolios.
Mr. Reichman has served on the advisory boards of numerous title insurance companies and is a member of the Board of Advisors of the monthly newsletters Commercial Lease Law Insider and Commercial Tenant’s Lease Law Insider, for which he has authored numerous articles on commercial leasing.
- United States Supreme Court
- New York
- New Jersey
- J.D., New York Law School
- New York Law Review, Editor
- B.A., Hunter College
- Represented a major media and publishing company in the leasing of 465,000 square feet of office space in New York City for its U.S. headquarters.
- Represented a professional services firm in connection with the leasing of a 250,000-square-foot build-to-suit office building in Tampa, Florida.
- Represented a professional services firm in connection with the leasing of approximately 250,000 square feet of office space in Midtown Manhattan.
- Represented a professional services firm in connection with the leasing of a 360,000 square foot build-to-suit office building in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Represented a professional services firm in connection with the leasing of 280,000 square feet of office space in a major office building in Chicago, Illinois.
- Retained by the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York as a consultant in connection with forfeiture proceedings involving a major Manhattan office building.
- Represented a major media measurement company in the leasing of 154,000 square feet of office space in Midtown Manhattan, and subsequently represented this company in the disposition of this space to one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies.
- Represented a major media measurement company in connection with the acquisition, development, leasing, and financing of its 39-acre, 600,000-square-foot worldwide technology center outside of Tampa, Florida.
- Represented a well-known developer in various acquisitions in connection with the development of a major sports and entertainment arena in Brooklyn, New York.
- Represented a New York real estate developer in connection with the development, financing, and leasing of two office buildings in the Union Square area in New York.
- Represented a major media company in connection with the leasing of 135,000 square feet in Corsico, Italy.
- Represented a regional shopping center developer and operator of shopping centers in the metropolitan New York area in leasing over one million square feet of retail space, including the leasing of 65,000 square feet of anchor tenant retail space to a major supermarket chain.
- Represented a major magazine publisher and its various affiliates in the leasing and subleasing of more than 500,000 square feet of office space throughout the U.S.
- Represented a marketing information company in connection with the leasing of 168,000 square feet of office space for its headquarters outside of Chicago, Illinois.
- Represented a major beer importer in the leasing of its U.S. corporate headquarters in White Plains, New York.
- Represented a New York State agency in connection with the disposition of two office/industrial buildings as part of the first phase of a planned $1.7 billion modernization and expansion in New York City.
- Represented a State agency in connection with the leasing of over 500,000 square feet of office, retail, and industrial space in New York City.
- Speaker, “What Could Possibly Go Wrong? Key Issues to Resolve BEFORE an Office Lease Is Signed,” New York County Lawyers Association, June 13, 2019
- Co-Author & Lecturer, “Why did we Agree to This? How to Avoid 9 Common Pitfalls When Negotiating a Commercial Lease.” New York County Lawyers Association, April 25, 2018.
- Co-Author & Lecturer, “Beyond the Basics: The Top Overlooked Lease Issues to Negotiate” New York County Lawyers Association, November 2, 2017.
- Mr. Reichman also previously taught a seminar entitled “Commercial Real Estate Leases, What You Need to Know” for the Center for Professional Education and as a member of the Real Property Law Section, Commercial Leasing Committee of the New York State Bar Association, which developed “Tenant’s Checklist of Silent Lease Issues” published in the New York Real Property Law Journal.
- Author, “Avoid Common Pitfalls When Drafting Operating Expense Clause,” Commercial Tenant’s Lease Insider, May 2018
- Author, “How to Negotiate Financially Favorable Terminations,” Commercial Tenant’s Lease Insider, July 2009
- Author, “Limit Your New Lease Obligations After Assignment,” Commercial Tenant’s Lease Insider, November 2008
- Author, “Get Flexibility in Applying Security Deposit,” Commercial Lease Law Insider, December 2007
- Author, “Don’t Let Owner’s Assignment/Sublet Consent Form Modify Lease,” Commercial Tenant’s Lease Insider, February 2004
- Author, “Don’t Let Owner Profit Unfairly if Base Year Taxes are Reduced,” Commercial Tenant’s Lease Insider, May 2003
In the News
- Quoted, “Converting Retail Into Commercial Space? Consider This,” GlobeSt, May 7, 2019