Greenspoon Marder LLP’s Appellate Law Practice Group has more than four decades of expertise in this area of law, which requires an exceptional understanding of the intricate rules and practices by which appellate courts review trial court rulings.
Our experienced and knowledgeable attorneys represent local, regional, national and international clients in all types of civil proceedings in state and federal courts and in administrative and arbitration hearings. We also represent registered representatives and broker/dealers in securities arbitration before the N.A.S.D. and administrative matters before the N.Y.S.E.
When a matter involves significant legal questions, appellate counsel can be useful in the early stages in preparing or defending motions that may cut the action off or educate the court or parties on the issues, and possibly in teeing up certain points for interlocutory appeal. It is particularly useful to involve appellate counsel early when part of the case is expected to be appealed while the remainder is actively proceeding through discovery.
As an integral part of Greenspoon Marder’s substantial Litigation Practice Group, our appellate attorneys handle all aspects of pre-trial, trial, appellate and post-judgment proceedings in the most complex cases. Understanding the thorough preparation and critical research required in the appeals process, our Appellate Law Practice Group has the added resources of computerized legal research, litigation support systems and trained legal assistants to aid in successfully handling complicated matters. In addition, because Greenspoon Marder provides a full range of legal services, our appellate attorneys also have the advantage of drawing on a virtually unrivaled bank of legal knowledge and experience.
Additionally, most cases that are not resolved before trial will be appealed; having appellate counsel involved early may better position the litigation for that inevitable appeal. This is particularly true for certain pretrial proceedings that may end up being appealed, such as preliminary injunctions, which are often litigated on a very fast track. Appellate counsel can focus on the documentation and admission into the record of the various elements needed to prevail on appeal.
The following is a summary of the areas in which appellate counsel can assist trial counsel at the trial level:
- Developing legal theories
- Developing litigation strategy
- Motion preparation
- Pretrial memorandum/trial brief
- Jury instructions and verdict forms
- Involvement during trial
- Jury deliberations
- Immediately after judgement
- Post-trial motions
- Assessing risks and benefits of pursuing an appeal
News & Videos
- Nov 4, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Receives Top Rankings In The 2022 Edition Of U.S News & World Report – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”
- Oct 5, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Recognized as “Top Lawyers” by Fort Lauderdale Illustrated for 2021
- Aug 19, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Partner John H. Pelzer Selected As A “Lawyer Of The Year” By Best Lawyers© For 2022
- Jul 10, 2020 Greenspoon Marder Partner John Pelzer Re-Appointed To The Florida Bar’s Appellate Practice Certification Committee As Vice Chair
- Apr 22, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Secures Florida Supreme Court Ruling Upholding Decisions Against Nonpartisan County Constitutional Officer Elections
- Jan 29, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Successfully Represents Real Estate Client Before Fourth District Court of Appeals
- Dec 13, 2017 Florida Judge Upholds Orange County Trial Court’s Judgement Against Nonpartisan County Constitutional Officer Elections
- Dec 6, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Secures Reversal of $7.3 Million Judgement Against Client Lexon
- May 4, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Shareholder John H. Pelzer Appointed To The Florida Bar’s Appellate Practice Certification Committee
- Aug 25, 2022 Cannabis Quick Hits: Traveling with Marijuana
- Aug 8, 2022 Cannabis Quick Hits: Accounting in the Cannabis Space
- Jul 27, 2022 Cannabis Quick Hits: Psilocybin’s with Dr. Dave
- Jul 11, 2022 Cannabis Quick Hits – Security in the Cannabis Space
- Jun 30, 2022 Cannabis Quick Hits – Banking in the Cannabis Industry
- May 16, 2022 Cannabis Quick Hits: How to Increase Access to Medical and Legal Marijuana
- May 13, 2022 Cannabis Quick Hits: Social Equity in the Cannabis Space
- Apr 7, 2022 Cannabis Quick Hits: Legislative Updates
- Mar 29, 2022 Cannabis Quick Hits: Labor & Employment
- Mar 2, 2022 Cannabis Quick Hits: Litigation in the Cannabis Space
- Oct 11, 2021 Cannabis Quick Hits: Considerations for Cannabis Businesses for a Well-Positioned Eventual Exit
- Oct 5, 2021 Cannabis Quick Hits: Intellectual Property in the Cannabis Industry
- Oct 4, 2021 Cannabis Quick Hits: Determining a Long Term Plan for your Cannabis Business
- Sep 27, 2021 Cannabis Quick Hits: Considerations When Entering or Investing in the Cannabis Industry
- Sep 22, 2021 Cannabis Quick Hits: Employment Laws in the Cannabis Industry