Alan S. Clarke is an attorney in the Litigation, Intellectual Property and Entertainment & Sports practice groups at Greenspoon Marder LLP. With over 25 years of experience, Mr. Clarke concentrates his practice on entertainment industry matters, including contract drafting and negotiations, trademark and copyright sales and acquisitions and corporate law, as well as infringement issues and litigation. He regularly represents and counsels entertainment companies, athletes, actors, performers, producers, writers, publishers, and artists.
As a seasoned practitioner, Mr. Clarke has extensive knowledge of the television, film and music industries, including the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights. He also has substantial experience in setting up, maintaining, transferring and terminating entertainment entities and their assets. Additionally, he handles a wide array of commercial litigation and transactional disputes, including but not limited to infringements, actions to enforce or terminate contractual agreements and issues related to rights of privacy, publicity and defamation.
Before joining Greenspoon Marder, Mr. Clarke chaired the Entertainment, Sports and Media group of one of the ten largest law firms in Atlanta. Also, for more than 20 years, he founded and led his own firm, concentrating on intellectual property, general commercial litigation, and entertainment matters. Furthermore, Mr. Clarke served as a former Assistant District Attorney for Rockdale County District Attorney’s Office.
Mr. Clarke is a member of The Recording Academy (the Grammy organization) and NATAS (the Television Academy). He has served in various leadership positions as Chair of the Entertainment and Sports Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia and Chair of the North American Entertainment Sports & IP Law Summit. Mr. Clarke also was the Chair of the Entertainment Law Institute. Furthermore, he is a Fellow of the Lawyers Foundation of Georgia, an organization of attorneys selected from three percent of the Georgia State Bar membership “whose public and private careers demonstrate outstanding legal abilities and a devotion to their communities.”
As a recognized entertainment lawyer, Mr. Clarke received the Georgia Lawyers for the Arts (GLA) Ben White Distinguished Service Award in 2018 for his “outstanding commitment and dedication to the arts community in Georgia.” He was also recognized as Attorney of the Year in 2014 by Georgia Lawyers for the Arts for providing the most pro bono hours to artists and arts organizations through GLA. In addition, Mr. Clarke is listed as “Top Rated” by Georgia Super Lawyers and Georgia Legal Elite for Entertainment & Sports.
What’s more, Mr. Clarke has lectured on entertainment law and intellectual property issues before groups such as Emory University School of Law, the Florida Bar Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section, Mercer University School of Law, the Levin College of Law at the University of Florida, Georgia State University College of Law, the Dramatists Guild of America, the Gospel Music Association, and NALS – the Association for Legal Professionals. Additionally, he has spoken to attorney groups, with Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice Carol Hunstein, on legal professionalism and ethics.
- J.D, Emory University, School of Law, 1989
- B.A., English, History, Duke University, cum laude, 1985
Professional and Community Involvement
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta, Member
- Georgia Production Partnership, Member
- The Recording Academy (the Grammy Organization), Member
- NATAS (the Television Academy), Member
- Lawyers Foundation of Georgia, Fellow
- Georgia Screen Entertainment Coalition, Steering Committee, former Member
- State Bar of Georgia, Entertainment and Sports Law Section, former Chair
- North American Entertainment Sports & IP Law Summit, former Chair
- Entertainment Law Institute, former Chair
- Actor’s Express Theater, Atlanta, former Board Member
- Stage Door Players, Dunwoody, former Board Member
- Copyright Case Update, North American Sports, Entertainment, and IP Law Summit, November 12, 2021
- Psychology of Financing the Creative, C3 Sound and Screen Convention, April 27, 2019
- The 30th Annual North American Law Summit, November 7-11, 2018
- The Legal Side of Your Project: How to Make Sure What’s Your is Yours, Georgia Production Partnership, November 6, 2018
- Entertainment Law, Spring Legal Education Seminar, April 17, 2018
- Trademarks in Music, Behind The Shadow, April 2, 2018
- Ethical Considerations in Entertainment Practice, 2018 Entertainment Law Institute, Presented by the Entertainment & Sports Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia; Co-Sponsored by Georgia Lawyers for the Arts, Inc., March 30, 2018
- Copyright Myths Debunked, Behind The Shadow, March 24, 2018
- Lights, Camera, Action: The Georgia Film Tax Credit and Legal Issues Regarding the Local Film Industry, Atlanta Bar Association, February 27, 2018
- Georgia Trend’s Legal Elite, Entertainment/Sports Law, 2018-2022
- Georgia Super Lawyers, 2018 – 2022
- Blue Ribbon Panelist
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Georgia Super Lawyers,” Entertainment & Sports, 2018-2022
- Georgia Lawyers for the Arts, Attorney of the Year Award, 2014
- Georgia Lawyers for the Arts (GLA) Ben White Distinguished Service Award, 2008
- Jul 5, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Alan S. Clarke and Julian A. Fortuna Selected to Serve on Super Lawyers Blue Ribbon Panels
- Jun 30, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Attorney Alan S. Clarke Invited To Join the Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Feb 14, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Attorney Alan S. Clarke Recognized Among 2022 Georgia “Super Lawyers”
- Dec 2, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Attorney Alan Clarke Recognized In Georgia Trend’s 2021 “Legal Elite”
- Oct 13, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Alan Clarke and Peter Stathopoulos Participate In Georgia Intellectual Property Alliance’s 15th Annual 2021 Corporate Intellectual Property Institute®
- Jul 12, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Expands Entertainment, Media & Technology Industry Group With The Addition of Eight New Attorneys in Atlanta and New York