Irina Dashevsky is a partner in the Cannabis Law practice group at Greenspoon Marder. She advises clients on legal, regulatory, and legislative developments in the highly regulated cannabis industry. She is also a commercial litigator. Ms. Dashevsky’s primary focus is on representing a range of cannabis clients (from MSOs to new social equity entrants) and ancillary businesses in nearly every segment of the cannabis industry—from state-level licensing and real estate to regulatory and compliance issues in multiple jurisdictions, and in litigation. Ms. Dashevsky is a sought-after resource for her knowledge of the evolving cannabis industry in Illinois and across the U.S., and her ability to help cannabis, hemp and CBD related businesses navigate the complex legal landscape.
Over the past several years, Ms. Dashevsky has been at the forefront of cannabis law and holds an active role in Illinois’ cannabis law community as a champion for the industry. She was recognized among Law360’s “Rising Stars” in Cannabis Law for 2021. Considered a thought leader, Ms. Dashevsky frequently publishes and presents about legal issues facing the cannabis industry. Notably, Ms. Dashevsky also serves as a member of Law360’s 2021 Cannabis Editorial Advisory Board. She is currently a member of the Illinois Women in Cannabis organization and previously served as Chair for the Steering Committee for the Chicago Bar Association Leadership Institute.
As a seasoned litigator, Irina Dashevsky has extensive experience managing and resolving consumer finance and real estate related disputes for clients throughout all stages of litigation in federal and state court. She has handled a wide range of matters, including insurance coverage defense, consumer finance defense, contract disputes, government contracts and regulation, gaming, real estate and complex mortgage foreclosures. Ms. Dashevsky concentrates on representing financial institutions in individual and class action lawsuits arising under myriad state and federal consumer protection statutes, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Truth in Lending Act; and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Prior to joining Greenspoon Marder, Ms. Dashevsky was a partner at Locke Lord and served as Co-Chair of Locke Lord’s Cannabis Industry Group and as Co-Editor of the firm’s Cannabis Law Blog.
- J.D., magna cum laude, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2009
- B.A., Political Science Honors Program, High Honors, DePaul University, 2005
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
Professional and Community Involvement
- Chicago Bar Association Leadership Institute, Steering Committee, Chair
- Illinois Women in Cannabis, Member
- Law360 Cannabis Editorial Advisory Board, Member
- Speaker, “280E: Beyond the Basics and Recent Updates,” Grown In Cannabis & Capital Summit, June 16, 2021
- Speaker, “Cannabis in Interstate Commerce: Of Trade Bans, Closed Markets and Baking at Home,” International Cannabis Bar Association and Sacramento County Bar Association, Cannabis Law Section, May 4, 2021
- Speaker, “Illinois Cannabis Licensing,” Illinois Women in Cannabis (IWC) Second Annual Conference, March 22, 2021
- Speaker, “Cresco Labs SEED Phase 1 Incubator Series,” October 29, 2019
- Speaker, “Cannabis Industry Event,” DePaul University, November 14, 2019
- Speaker, “A Budding Industry: Cannabis and Commercial Real Estate,” Crew Dallas, September 18, 2019
- Speaker, “The Land of Lincoln (and Weed): An Analysis of Illinois’s Recreational Marijuana Law,” Celesq AttorneysEd Center Webinar, July 23, 2019
- Law360, “Rising Star,” Cannabis, 2021
- U.S. News and World Report, “Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch,” Commercial Litigation, 2021-2022
In the News
- Featured, “Greenspoon Marder Nabs Ex-Locke Lord Cannabis Law Attys” Law360, July 7, 2021
- Quoted, “ High Court Keeps Tight Grip On Medical Pot Licenses,” Law360, June 24, 2021
- Quoted, “Why Some Pot Licenses Could Turn Pumpkins,” Crain’s Chicago Business, February 12, 2021
- Quoted, “Illinois To Allow Application Do-overs; Some Argue It’s Not Enough,” WeedWeek, September 23, 2020
- Quoted, “Lawsuits Stack Up Over Illinois Pot Dispensary Licensing,” Law360, September 14, 2020
- Quoted, “Why Litigation Threatens Illinois Weed Growth,” Crain’s Chicago Business, September 11, 2020
- Quoted, “Pot Holes: Social-equity clauses could face challenges in court,” Chicago Daily Bulletin, June 27, 2019
- Sep 16, 2021 New York Cannabis Business End Game: Real Estate
- Aug 19, 2021 Nine Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers In America©: Ones To Watch 2022
- Jul 15, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Partner Irina Dashevsky Named As A 2021 Law360 “Rising Star” in Cannabis
- Jul 6, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Expands Cannabis Law Practice in the Midwest and Names New Cannabis Group Chair