Robert P. Wessely is a partner in the Corporate & Business Practice Group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. Mr. Wessely focuses his practice on international and domestic corporate transactions, including strategic and structural advice regarding mergers and acquisitions, private equity, joint ventures, financing, restructuring, cross-border trade and licensing transactions. He also advises senior international executives on their employment and compensation packages. Additionally, Mr. Wessely has substantial real estate experience, particularly for foreign investors, as well as experience in media and entertainment and related corporate and intellectual property matters.
Mr. Wessely’s practice extends to a variety of industries, ranging from financial institutions (including M&A for broker/dealers, offshore funds and other investment vehicles) to air transport, hospitality, software licensing and distribution, manufacturing, media (radio, publishing and film), architecture and construction law, as well as oil and gas.
He has advised broker dealers on their blockchain and cryptocurrency investments, and has represented operating companies in the international distribution of cannabis products.
He previously served at the U.S. Department of State with the National Security Council Interagency Task Force on the Law of the Sea.
- State of New York
- U.S. Federal Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Federal Court, Southern District of New York
- New York
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School
- A.B., University of Illinois, summa cum laude
- University of Vienna, Austria
- Advising European, Latin American, and Asian companies on acquisitions, restructurings and divestitures of their American businesses.
- Advising hotel owners, operators, and entertainment venues on their acquisition, financing, restructuring, and operating agreements including catering and food service operations.
- Advising multiple clients on the purchase and sale of broker/dealers, including related regulatory matters.
- Representing European funds in restructuring their American and offshore investments.
- Structuring multimillion dollar offshore funds in the Middle East, Asia, and tax-advantaged jurisdictions.
- Advising public and private U.S. and Canadian companies on their cannabis businesses.
- Representing broker/dealers in developing blockchain investment funds.
- Completing the multimillion dollar acquisition of a working tin mine, together with exploration rights to gold and other precious metal mines in Mongolia, on behalf of a consortium of investors from Britain, Switzerland, Mongolia and the United States.
- Representing a fractional ownership airline in joint ventures, commercial contracts and regulatory matters in Europe, the Middle East and Asia and acquiring and financing aircraft and fleets.
- Restructuring a multinational logistics enterprise.
- Representing a European consortium in a significant New York real estate development.
- Representing the German public company EM.TV in the acquisition, restructuring and sale of the assets of the Jim Henson Company.
- Representing German and Israeli technology companies in U.S. acquisitions, joint ventures and financings.
- Representing an American technology company in multiple European financings.
- Representing military contractors (including aircraft parts manufactures) in acquisitions and divestitures.
- Advising German/American automobile parts and technology companies on manufacturing joint ventures and distribution arrangements.
- Advising British and American authors on intellectual property rights relating to their novels and screenplays.
Professional and Community Involvement
- The American Austrian Foundation, President and Director
- The David Howard Foundation, Director
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- St. Bartholomew’s Conservancy, Inc., Director
- The Moses Ginsberg Family Foundation, Director
- Speaker, “The Cannabis Law Institute,” International Cannabis Bar Association, October 3, 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV Preeminent®
- May 2, 2022 Greenspoon Marder Launches Latin America Practice Group
- May 2, 2022 Greenspoon Marder lanza su área de práctica de América Latina
- Jul 15, 2020 Greenspoon Marder Acts As Lead Counsel For Westgate Resorts Largest Securitization Deal
- Oct 3, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partner Robert Wessely Panel Moderator for “The Cannabis Law Institute” presented by The International Cannabis Bar Association
- Jun 5, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Expands Corporate & Business Capabilities With Addition of New Partner Robert Wessely in New York