Aliya Nelson brings more than 20 years of corporate, entertainment, and licensing experience to Greenspoon Marder. As a partner in the firm’s Corporate & Business practice group, Ms. Nelson focuses on entertainment, intellectual property, and corporate transactional matters. She has substantial experience in all aspects of corporate and entertainment law, which include representing marketing agencies, sports, media, and technology companies, as well as Grammy award-winning artists, songwriters, and producers.
As a seasoned practitioner, she serves as a trusted advisor and a fierce advocate for her clients, advising board of directors and senior management of sports, media, technology companies, financial institutions, and real estate developers through various corporate transactional and real estate matters. Ms. Nelson also has extensive experience representing clients, both as a lead attorney and outside general counsel, in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, equity, debt financing, and general corporate matters.
Ms. Nelson has served as a managing principal of an experiential marketing and activation agency that owned and operated branded youth sports properties around the United States and a multicultural advertising and experiential agency that served clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to small and mid-sized companies.
Prior to joining Greenspoon Marder, Ms. Nelson founded and led her own firm for 18 years, concentrating on intellectual property, corporate, and entertainment matters. She was also an Adjunct Professor at New York University teaching legal issues affecting non-profit entities and an Adjunct Professor at The College of New Rochelle introducing law related issues to undergraduate students.
In addition to her professional accomplishments, Ms. Nelson has been actively engaged throughout her life as a director, executive, and member of several civic, charitable, and philanthropic organizations. Ms. Nelson is a proud member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and Jack and Jill of America, Inc. She is a graduate of the United Way’s Linkages professional board training program and currently serves on the board of the Classical Theatre of Harlem, and previously served on the Board of Directors of Behind the Book, Inc. and the New Rochelle Boys and Girls Club. She is founder of a New Rochelle based Girl Scout’s Troop and is engaged in development and fundraising for her children’s schools and active board positions.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- New York
- J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 2001
- B.A., Political Science, Art History, Rutgers College, 1997
Professional and Community Involvement
- Classical Theatre of Harlem, Board Member
- Black Entertainment and Sports Lawyers Association, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Member
- Behind the Book, Inc., former Member of the Board of Directors and Board of Advisors
- Jack and Jill of America, Inc., Member of Metropolitan Chapter
- New Rochelle Boys and Girls Club, former Member of the Board of Directors
- Girl Scouts of the United States of America
- Crain’s New York Business, “Notable Women in Law,” 2022
- Dec 20, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Partner Aliya Nelson Selected To Crain’s New York Business 2022 Notable Women in Law List
- Oct 22, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Partner Aliya Nelson Featured Speaker at Southern University Law Center’s Legally Connected: 2nd Annual Sports and Entertainment Symposium
- Jul 12, 2021 Greenspoon Marder Expands Entertainment, Media & Technology Industry Group With The Addition of Eight New Attorneys in Atlanta and New York