Edward D. Brown is a partner and Co-Chair of the International Wealth and Asset Planning Group at Greenspoon Marder. Mr. Brown has more than twenty-five years of experience in areas of comprehensive estate planning, asset protection and taxation. Twenty years of Mr. Brown’s experience, thirteen as a shareholder, were with the law firm of Engel & Reiman PC, concentrating almost exclusively in the trust-planning practice area, including the crafting, amending, interpreting, analyzing and consulting with regard to the operations of many of these trusts, whether domiciled in the Cook Islands, Nevis or Isle of Man or domestically in states such as Nevada. Mr. Brown was a co-author, with Barry Engel, of the various editions of the Asset Protection Planning Guide, a Wolters Kluwer, CCH publication. He focuses his practice on trust designs that are customized to the clients’ goals of protection of assets for their family and having added flexibility in their comprehensive estate plans that allow maximizing options with regard to changing circumstances and evolving laws.
Mr. Brown is an AV-rated attorney who speaks frequently to professional organizations on a wide range of legal subjects including complex estate planning, asset protection and related subject matters. He has been, and continues to be, invited to speak across the country.
- L.L.M., Taxation, University of Denver, 1986
- J.D., University of Denver, 1984
- B.A., Finance and Accounting, West Virginia University, cum laude, 1981
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Member
- Denver Bar Association, Member
- American Academy of Attorney-CPAs, Member
- Rocky Mountain Estate Planning Council, Member
A sampling of Mr. Brown’s more recent presentations:
- Speaker, “Trends and Traps for Asset Protection: What Attorneys Should Know to Advise Higher Net Worth Clients,” Clear Law Institute, September 7, 2018
- Speaker, “2018 Critical Tax and Planning Updates for Asset Protection, Estate Planning and Taxation Lawyers,” CELESQ, June 21, 2018
- Webcast on “Ethical Considerations for Lawyers Involved in Estate Planning and Asset Protection” for Celesq AttorneyEd
- Webinar offered through West LegalEdcenter on Select Federal and State Income, Gift and Estate Tax Issues and Filing Requirements for Domestic and Foreign Trusts for Estate Planning and Asset Protection Attorneys
- Ethics programs offered through West LegalEdcenter about advising clients on protecting assets
- AAA-CPA programs on comprehensive estate and asset protection planning
- West LegalEdcenter programs on the perceived erosions and enhancements of asset protection trends and multiple other estate planning and asset protection webinars
- National Business Institute live webinars and programs on (1) self-settled trusts and (2) domestic and offshore asset protection trusts
- CLE International programs on asset protection planning
- State Bar of California Young Tax Lawyers – Silicon Valley Chapter regarding estate planning and enhanced goal achievement
- Foxmoor Continuing Education program on the “Colorado Complete Trust” course
- Lorman Educational Services national audio conferences
- Denver Tax Council on Tax Compliance
- Southpac Trust International conferences (in the Bahamas and in Las Vegas) on various asset protection and administration topics
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV® Preeminent ™
He has also authored numerous articles on a variety of legal topics that have appeared in local and national publications such as the Journal of Practical Estate Planning, Journal of Taxation, Journal of International Taxation, The Tax Adviser, Asset Protection Journal, Journal of Financial Planning, The Colorado Lawyer, and Estate Planning. He is also a co-author of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions of the Asset Protection Planning Guide, a Wolters Kluwer, CCH publication, as well as a contributing author to Asset Protection Strategies, published by the American Bar Association. He was also a lead author for the Colorado Estate Planning Handbook (Orange Book Handbook) Chapter on Irrevocable Trusts (including “asset protection” trusts) published by the Colorado Bar Association.
A sampling of Mr. Brown’s more recent articles:
- Co-Author, “Asset Protection Update,” WealthCounsel Quarterly, Volume 12, Issue 1, Summer 2018
- Author, “Mid-Year Asset Protection Update,” WealthCounsel Quarterly, January – July 2017
- Trusts & Estates: Divorce and the Self-Settled Trust
- The CPA Journal: The Advantages of Beneficiary-Favored Trusts
- Trusts & Estates: Protecting Family Inheritances from Divorce
- Colorado Lawyer: Inheritance Protection for Married Children
- Estate Planning: Asset Protection for the Business and Professional Practice
- Journal of International Taxation: A Guide to Foreign Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts
- The Tax Adviser: Third-Party Trusts Integrated Estate and Asset-Protection Planning
- Think Twice if You Own 100% of a Limited Liability Company
- The IRS Has Spoken, Providing Another Asset Protection Trust Strategy
- Value is in the Eyes of the Creditor
- Is Asset Protection Planning Immoral?
- Selfish Reasons to be Generous
- I Don’t Need Asset Protection, I Have Insurance!
- Asset Protection Planning Should Be High On Your Priority List
- Updates in Trust and Tax Law Cases-Straight Off the Press: Streightoff Estate Treated as Owning Full Partnership Interest in Partnership instead of merely as an Assignee Interest—Bad for Asset Protection?
- Are Most Trusts Really (Potentially) Self-Settled Trusts?
- Be Careful Not to Engage in Fraudulent Non-Transfers
- The Misfortunes of Not Addressing One’s Fortune
- If an Asset Protection Trust is Used as a Receptacle for Assets, Is this Automatically a Fraudulent Transfer?
- The Offshore Limited Liability Company – Just as Good as a Trust?
- LLC Charging Order Protection Against Creditor Causes Debtor to Lose Even More Money: How Can That Be?
- New Nevis LLC Law Passes
- European “Blacklist” Status May Hit Home
- Is Jail Time the Nuclear Attack that Creditors have Against Offshore Asset Protection Trusts?
- Georgia Has No Asset Protection on its Mind.
- A Cook Islands Trust that Could Have Succeeded to Protect Assets
- The Demise of Domestic Asset Protection Trusts?
- International Wealth and Asset Planning Group Annual Client Alert
- Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Edward Brown and Andrew Bechel To Be Featured Speakers For The “Ethical Considerations for Attorneys Involved in Estate Planning and Asset Protection” Celesq Webinar
- Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Edward Brown and Jacqueline Fox Featured Speakers at Celesq “Asset Protection Fundamentals” Webinar
- Greenspoon Marder Partner, Edward Brown, Co-Authors Irrevocable Trusts Chapter of the Colorado Bar Association’s Estate Planning Handbook
- Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Edward Brown and Jacqueline Fox to be Featured Speakers for the Clear Law Institute Webinar
- Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Edward Brown and Jacqueline Fox Featured Speakers at Celesq “Critical Tax and Planning Updates” Webinar
- Greenspoon Marder Launches International Wealth & Asset Planning Blog
- Greenspoon Marder Shareholder Edward D. Brown Presenter at Celesq’s Ethical Considerations Webinar
- Greenspoon Marder Expands International Wealth and Asset Planning Practice With Addition of Shareholder Edward D. Brown in Denver