Eric Kaplan is an associate in the International Wealth and Asset Planning group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. He focuses his practice on estate planning, asset protection and taxation.
Mr. Kaplan brings with him almost two decades of extensive knowledge and experience with comprehensive estate planning, domestic-based asset protection as well as offshore asset protection.
Mr. Kaplan has written extensively and been published in the areas of estate planning, asset protection and integrated estate planning. He was a contributing author to the third edition of Asset Protection Planning Guide, published in 2014 by CCH Incorporated, after also having significantly contributed to the second edition in 2005. His other published works can be found in Estate Planning, Insights and Strategies; Journal of Practical Estate Planning; Journal of Financial Planning; and Journal of International Taxation.
After receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree in United States History in 1995 from the State University of New York at Albany, Mr. Kaplan earned his Juris Doctor degree in 1998 from Quinnipiac University School of Law and then moved to Colorado to practice. He is a member of the Colorado Bar Association.
- J.D., Quinnipiac University School of Law, 1998
- B.A., State University of New York at Albany, 1995
Professional and Community Involvement
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Adams County Bar Association, Member
- Master networks, Member, 2019-2020
- Firestorm – Lone Tree Chapter, Member, 2017-2019
- Centennial Estate Planning Council, Member, 2011-2016
- Co-Author, “Irrevocable Trusts,” Colorado Estate Planning Handbook, Seventh Edition, February 2019 (updated chapter to be released sometime in early 2020)
- Contributing Author, “Asset Protection Planning Guide: A State-of-the-Art Approach to Integrated Estate Planning,” Third Edition, CCH Incorporated, January 2014
- Co-Author, “Recent Developments in Asset Protection,” Estate Planning, April 2013 (Part I) and May 2013 (Part II)
- Co-Author, “Domestic Asset Protection Trusts and Implications of the Mortensen Case,” Insights & Strategies, August 2012
- Co-Author, “Exercise of Jurisdiction by U.S. Courts Over Foreign Defendants Based on Internet Presence: Implications for Foreign Asset Protection Trusts,” Insights & Strategies, January 2011
- Co-Author, “You Created a Trust—So Now What?” Journal of Practical Estate Planning, June-July 2009
- Co-Author, “Recent Developments in Contempt Law Involving Offshore Trusts,” Insights & Strategies, April 2009
- Co-Author, “Third Party Trusts: Tax Benefits and Asset Protection,” Journal of Financial Planning, November 2007
- Co-Author, “A Guide to Foreign Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts,” Journal of International Taxation, February 2005
- Co-Author, “Incorporating Offshore: A Tax and Asset Protection Guide,” Journal of International Taxation, June 2003
- Co-Author, “Protecting the Dental Practitioner’s Assets,” Colorado Dentistry, May 2002
- Jul 10, 2020 International Wealth and Asset Planning Group Annual Client Letter
- Jun 15, 2020 Greenspoon Marder International Wealth & Asset Planning Blog: Previous Loophole in South Dakota’s Qualified Dispositions in Trust Act May Result in Ex-Spouse Losing Billions of Dollars
- Mar 25, 2020 Greenspoon Marder Client Alert: International Wealth and Asset Planning Group