John A. Gelety is a partner in the Corporate practice group at Greenspoon Marder. His practice focuses on a broad variety of corporate matters, including, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, finance, and general commercial contracting. He has represented clients in a wide variety of industries, including private equity, real estate development, aviation, technology, manufacturing, retail, medical, and education.
Mr. Gelety’s mergers and acquisition experience includes structuring and negotiation of complex acquisition arrangements, including domestic and “cross-border” transactions in the Caribbean and Latin America. His capital markets experience includes representation of venture capital funds and other institutional investors in all manner of private investments, including preferred equity and debt financings, as well as representation of emerging issuers in need of financing. In addition, he has extensive experience in the public capital markets having represented a number of issuers in public offerings of equity and debt instruments, as well as counseling public companies with respect to various obligations arising under federal securities laws, including general disclosure requirements and periodic reporting obligations. His real estate development experience includes all aspects involved in the acquisition and sale of real estate investment portfolios. Mr. Gelety regularly provides transactional, corporate governance and general corporate counseling to his clients.
Prior to joining Greenspoon Marder, he ran his own firm, John A. Gelety, P. A., for 10 years. Prior to running his own firm, Mr. Gelety worked as the associate general counsel at a real estate and private equity investment firm and was an associate at Steel Hector & Davis and Hogan & Lovells (formerly Hogan & Hartson).
- New York
- LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center, 1999
- J.D., Nova Southeastern University, 1998
- B.A., University of San Diego, 1987
- English and Ocean Studies
Professional and Community Involvement
- Intercontinental Bank, Miami, FL, Board of Directors, January 2015-Present
- Herzfeld Caribbean Basin Fund (NASDAQ – CUBA), Miami, FL, November 2011-Present
- Board of Directors, Member
- Audit Committee, Member
- Nominating and Governance Committee, Chair
- Thelma Gibson Health Initiative, Inc., Immediate Past Chair, Board of Directors, 2015-2016
- 1st Vice Chair, 2013-2014
- Executive Director, Treasurer, Board Member, 2011-2012