Louis J. Terminello is a partner, Chair of the Hospitality, Alcohol and Leisure Industry Group and member of the Firm Management Committee at Greenspoon Marder. He concentrates his practice on administrative law and providing legal services to all tiers of the alcohol beverage industry, including retailers, suppliers and wholesalers. He handles a wide array of transactional, civil, criminal, and administrative matters for hotels, restaurants, bars, nightclubs and package stores throughout Florida.
Mr. Terminello has more than 40 years of experience in the alcohol beverage and tobacco industry as a regulator, industry attorney and industry member. He previously served as a senior law enforcement investigator with the State of Florida’s Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco in Miami for over 10 years.
Mr. Terminello was an Adjunct Professor at Florida International University’s Chaplain School of Hospitality and Tourism Management teaching Beverage Law Management/Alcoholic Beverage Law from 2006 through 2013 and is currently an Adjunct Professor at the University of Miami School of Law teaching Alcohol Beverage Law. He has lectured at Florida Bar CLE events on various alcoholic beverage law topics on several occasions. Additionally, he has been appointed Special Counsel to U.S. Bankruptcy Court trustees for alcoholic beverage issues in the United States Bankruptcy Court on numerous occasions. Mr. Terminello has also been admitted as an expert witness in alcoholic beverage issues in circuit courts throughout the State of Florida. Louis has owned and operated several South Florida restaurants and nightclubs.
Click here to view Mr. Terminello’s Partner Spotlight.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- District of Columbia
- New York
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law, cum laude, 1990
- Honor Council President, 1989-1990
- Inter-American Law Review, Member, 1988-1990
- B.S., Northeastern University, 1974
Professional and Community Involvement
- Urban Land Institute, Product Councils: Recreational Development Council
- Dade County Bar Association, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Paul Harris, Fellow
- University of Miami School of Law, Alcoholic Beverage Law, Adjunct Professor, 2017
- Florida International University’s Chaplain School of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Alcoholic Beverage Law, Adjunct Professor, 2006-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV Preeminent®
In the News
- Quoted, “How Hotels are Adapting to Cannabis Legalization,” Leafly, May 22, 2019
- Quoted, “Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Tiger Woofs Faces Stiff Challenge Because of ‘Habitual Drunkard’ Law,” USA Today, May 17, 2019
- Quoted, “The Legalities of Hosting a Drink Event,” SevenFifty Daily, November 29, 2018
- Quoted, “Changing Marijuana Laws Pose Problems For Hospitality,” Hospitality Law, September 2018
- Quoted, “E11EVEN Gets OK for Nightclub Expansion to Miami Rooftop,” Law.com, May 17, 2018
- Quoted, “South Beach Club Mokai Gets to Reopen After Horse in Club,” Miami Herald, March 19, 2018
- Quoted, “Miami Beach’s Mokai Lounge to Reopen After Shutdown Over Horse Video,” NBC Miami, March 19, 2018
- Featured, “Some Say He’s a Hero: How a Lawyer Saved the Party,” Law.com, September 1, 2017
- Quoted, “Nightclub Allowed to Reopen After Promising that Women Won’t Expose Their Breasts Again,” Miami Herald, August 25, 2017
- Quoted, “El Ruido Ahoga al Downtown de Miami. ¿Es un Mal Negogoio Vivir en Esos Condos de Lujo?,” El Nuevo Herald, July 12, 2017
- Quoted, “Downtown Miami Club: We’re Working On the Loud Noise. But We Aren’t Paying These Fines.,” Miami.com, July 7, 2017
- Quoted, “Downtown Tower Dwellers to Dance Clubs: Turn Down the Noise!,” Miami Herald, July 5, 2017
- Quoted, “Nightlife, Fashion Among Law Firms’ New Niches,” Miami Herald, April 24, 2016
- Featured, “Greenspoon Law Firm Expanding Its Alcohol Business,” Sun Sentinel, September 10, 2015
- Author, “Supreme Court Is Asked if Retailers Can Shit Alcohol Directly to Consumers,” Daily Business Review, February 4, 2019
- Author, “Distinct Rules,” Food & Drink International, August 13, 2018
- Author, “‘Tied-House Evil’ Laws,” Food and Drink International, April 13, 2018
- Author, “Repeal of Prohibition,” Leisure & Hospitality International, February 20, 2018
- May 16, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Hospitality, Alcohol & Leisure Blog: Update to Latest Round of US-China Tariffs Hit Wine and Spirits – California Winemakers Nervous
- May 14, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Hospitality, Alcohol & Leisure Blog: Latest Round of US-China Tariffs Hits Wine and Spirits
- May 9, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Hospitality, Alcohol & Leisure Blog: CBD-Infused Alcoholic Beverages: Coming Soon To A Store Near You?
- Apr 15, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Hospitality, Alcohol & Leisure Blog: Cannabis Conundrum
- Mar 13, 2019 Let’s Buy Together!
- Feb 19, 2019 How Private Labels Blur the Lines of Beverage Law
- Feb 4, 2019 The Issue is Moot-Sort Of.
- Jan 22, 2019 TTB Closed for Business…And We Know It’s Bad for You.
- Jan 17, 2019 “Blair v Tenn” – Can A Retailer Ship Directly To Consumers?
- Nov 26, 2018 For Whom the Bong Tolls
- Sep 4, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Launches Hospitality, Alcohol & Leisure Industry Group Blog
- Feb 13, 2019 Greenspoon Marder Partner Spotlight: Louis J. Terminello
- Nov 8, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Selected as 2018 Legal Leaders
- May 17, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Prevails On Behalf Of Client E11even Before The City Of Miami’s Planning & Zoning Appeals Board
- Mar 19, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Successfully Reaches A Settlement With the City of Miami Beach Allowing the Mokai Lounge To Resume Operations
- Jan 22, 2018 Greenspoon Marder Highlights National Hospitality, Alcohol & Leisure Industry Group
- Nov 14, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Receive 2018 AV Preeminent Rating By Martindale-Hubbell
- Aug 15, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Shareholder Louis J. Terminello Appointed to the Urban Land Institute’s (ULI) Florida Product Councils Hospitality & Recreation Development Council
- Jul 24, 2017 Greenspoon Marder Shareholder Louis J. Terminello Joins University of Miami School of Law As Adjunct Professor Teaching Alcohol Beverage Law
- Nov 26, 2016 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Selected as 2016 Legal Leaders
- Nov 3, 2016 Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Receive 2017 AV Preeminent Rating By Martindale-Hubbell
- Jun 1, 2016 Greenspoon Marder Successfully Blocks Transfer of Liquor License