Nick Richards is a Partner in the Tax practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. He represents individuals and businesses in tax audits & trials, M&A, in managing tax debt, and he advises cannabis companies, owners and investors regarding tax and regulatory compliance matters. Mr. Richards has been a tax attorney for more than twenty years beginning his career with the IRS where he was a leading trial attorney, a Chief Counsel advisor, and a Special Assistant United States Attorney.
With his broad experience and understanding at all phases of the tax system, from reporting and assessment through appeals, court, and tax debt resolution, Mr. Richards achieves successful legal solutions tailored to his individual client’s needs. Mr. Richards also teaches tax attorneys and CPAs throughout the US and he is an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Denver, Graduate Tax Program, where he teaches State and Local Tax and Civil and Criminal Tax.
Taxes can be stressful and Mr. Richards’ clients find relief in his broad experience in the IRS and in representing taxpayers large and small. He understands the tax system, provides informed advice, and protects taxpayers from the mistakes and missteps of those less experienced. Several years after leaving the IRS, he represented a Colorado cannabis company in one of the first IRS audits in the legalized industry. Since that ground-breaking case, he has gone on to successfully represent companies in many cities, states, courts and before the federal government. In addition to tax audits, trials and collections, he is widely recognized as a leading cannabis industry attorney and has extensive experience in IRC Section 280E and BSA cash reporting requirements. His knowledge of the tax system is essential when advising business owners and investors, particularly in mergers, acquisitions and entity formation.
Nick is a father of two young children, a proud husband, a music fan, and he enjoys the outdoors when not fighting for his clients.
- United State Tax Court
- J.D., Lewis & Clark College, 1998
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1995
Professional and Community Involvement
- University of Denver, Adjunct Professor of Law
- Cannabis Certification Counsel, Board Member
- Cannabis Growth Opportunity Corp, Board Member
- California State Bar, Member
- Colorado State Bar, Member
- ABA Tax Section, Member
- National Cannabis Industry Association, Member
- Future Tax Leaders, Member
- AICPA Cannabis Expert Panel
In the News
- Featured, “Greenspoon Marder Cannabis Group Snags Veteran Tax Atty,” Law360, February 5, 2020
- Quoted, “Recent Decisions On Tax Fines Offer Ray Of Hope For Cannabis Industry Around Burdens Of IRS’ 280E,” Marijuana Business Daily, January 17, 2020
- Quoted, “5 Things Cannabis Biz Attorneys Should Know About Tax Law,” Law360, November 8, 2019
- Quoted, “Former IRS Attorney Warns Of Upcoming ‘Tsunami’ Of Marijuana-Related 280E Audits,” Marijuana Business Daily, October 16, 2019