Jon Purow is a partner in the Cannabis Law and Intellectual Property practice groups at Greenspoon Marder, specializing in general intellectual property litigation and transactions, as well as cannabis regulatory, intellectual property, and transactional matters.
From start-ups to publicly traded multinational companies, Mr. Purow works with a broad array of clients to establish, protect, license, and enforce their intellectual property. Mr. Purow assists clients in acquiring, clearing, filing, and maintaining favorable intellectual property rights on the state, federal and international levels as appropriate. While he prides himself on finding strategic and creative manners to cost-effectively resolve unavoidable disputes, he vigorously advocates and litigates for his clients when circumstances dictate.
With respect to cannabis work, Mr. Purow navigates the idiosyncrasies and regulations of the constantly evolving industry to obtain optimal protection and efficient expansion of his client’s brands, as well as shepherd clients through the state license application process and subsequent regulatory compliance.
Mr. Purow hosted the podcast “Cannabis Last Week” which featured interviews with industry luminaries, as well as biweekly updates featuring news and analysis covering all developments in the cannabis and psychedelics industries on the state, federal and international levels. He leverages this knowledge and network to help his clients strategize as if he was an active member of their teams. In addition, Mr. Purow co-founded two cannabis networking groups, the virtual Coastal Cannect, and the in-person New Jersey-based 420Cannect. He frequently speaks and moderates panels at industry events and conferences such as NY Cannabis Insider, Cannavest, and Benzinga’s Cannabis Capital Conference.
- New York
- New Jersey (Candidate for Admission by Motion)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 2007
- B.A., Brown University, English, 2003
- Spanish (conversational)
Professional and Community Involvement
- 420 Cannect, Co-Founder
- Coastal Cannect, Founder
- Global Cannabis Times Editorial Board, Member
- Cannabis Beverage Association, Secretary & Member of the Board
- Featured Speaker, “Boards overwhelmed with cannabis licensing,” Fox 5 New York, October 17, 2023
- Host/Interviewer, “Cannabis Last Week,” Global Cannabis Times, 2021-Present
- Moderator, “East Coast on the Rise: How Cannabis in The Tri-State Is Taking Focus,” Benzinga Cannabis Capital Conference & Awards, September 13, 2022
- Speaker, NY Cannabis Insider Live, August 23, 2022
- Speaker, NY Cannabis Insider Live, May 20, 2022
- Speaker, “From Seed to Sale: Investment Opportunities Along the Total Continuum of the Cannabis Industry,” (CannaVest Agenda) Lift Cannabis Business Conference, May 13, 2022
- Moderator, “Has the California Cannabis Market Reached Its Full Potential?” Benzinga Cannabis Capital Conference, April 21, 2022
- Super Lawyers magazine, “New York Super Lawyers,” Intellectual Property, Cannabis Law, Intellectual Property Litigation, 2023
- Super Lawyers, “New York Rising Star,” 2015-2021
- PoliticsNY, New York Cannabis Power Player, 2023
In the News
- Quoted, “Cannabis Industry Enjoys a Rare Moment of Progress,” Bloomberg, September 5, 2023
- Author, “A Plan for When AI Users’ Works Infringe Human Works,” Law360 Expert Analysis, November 1, 2019
- Author, “Virtual Reality May Create Novel IP Issues in the Real World,” Law360 Expert Analysis, March 28, 2016
- Author, “Planting the Seeds for IP Protection of Marijuana Brands and Related Products,” Law360 Expert Analysis, December 22, 2015