Sharon Urias is a partner in the Litigation practice group at Greenspoon Marder LLP. Ms. Urias is experienced in providing business and intellectual property litigation, including trademark, domain name disputes, patent and copyright litigation.
Prior to joining Greenspoon Marder, Ms. Urias ran her own firm for 11 years. Additionally, she has been a member of the Arizona State Bar Association’s Fee Arbitration Committee since 2008.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- J.D., Loyola Law School of Los Angeles, 1995
- Loyola Law Review, Note and Comment Editor
- B.A., Tufts University, 1992
- Won motion for summary judgment on claims for trademark infringement, cybersquatting and reverse domain name hijacking, as well as award of attorneys’ fees under the “exceptional case” provision of the Lanham Act.
- Obtained injunction for clients in connection with two hundred million dollar real estate project allowing for favorable settlement of trade secret action.
- Obtained defense verdict in ten-day jury trial in complex commercial real estate case and obtained significant attorneys’ fee award on behalf of clients.
- Obtained reversal by the California Court of Appeal of a $60.7 million judgment in a complicated medical malpractice case reported in the Daily Journal’s Verdicts and Settlement section to be the second largest California jury verdict of the year 2000 and the only one overturned on appeal.
- Won motion for judgment on the pleadings on behalf of defendant manufacturer in class action filed on behalf of thousands of alleged class members.
- Successfully defended trademark infringement case brought by prominent local chef in Louisiana against food manufacturer client, winning key jurisdictional motions, which allowed the negotiation of a nuisance-value settlement.
- Won motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction on behalf of Sri Lankan and Pakistani cellular telephone companies, thus avoiding $30 million misappropriation of trade secrets case.
- Representation of creator, publisher, and distributor of comic books in a copyright and trademark infringement action and a $23.5 million action against a movie studio for unpaid royalties in connection with use of client’s intellectual property.
- Successfully handled appeal for client hit with a $1 million arbitration award despite significant and extensive adverse case law.
- Set aside default judgment in trial court on behalf of defendant insurance company and successfully defended appeal from order granting default judgment.
- Won motion for dismissal sanction in federal court case based on the plaintiff’s failure to cooperate in discovery.
- Won successive motions to quash service of summons on behalf of Danish motion picture distribution company based on failure to comply with the Hague Convention, causing the plaintiff to dismiss the lawsuit.
- Assisted publishing company client in recovering stolen domain name in trademark infringement case.
- Obtained arbitration award in a bad faith action against an insurance company, including recovery of attorneys’ fees.
- Obtained dismissal on behalf of client in federal trademark case alleging infringement, unfair competition and false advertising, and seeking treble damages.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Trademark Litigation Committee, Member
- Arizona State Bar Association, Fee Arbitration Committee, Member
- California State Bar Association, Member